11 | A priceless token

The lift opened, and the throng of witches and wizards waiting in the atrium forced Ginny to stop a few feet outside the doors. Her gaze jumped around the people, her grin growing. Time was ticking, and she skirted through the crowd towards the pedestal. Once there, she simply stared. This moment was a long time coming.

Brushing a lock of spelled black hair behind her ear, she took in the others waiting, shuffling together. Their gazes passed over her as they talked and waved and greeted and waited. She was nobody today, but tomorrow for the ball, she'd go as herself. It would be interesting to see the stir it caused. The thought brought a smile to her lips.

A flash of familiar blond hair passed a little away from her. Malfoy? That piqued her curiosity. What was he doing here? This wasn't his kind of thing.

It was a shame the Malfoys and Parkinsons weren't close anymore. Just her luck. Rumor was, after the Second War, they went their separate ways. That complicated things. But if they'd been the chummy dysfunctional family friends like before, there wouldn't be a job. So, she'd figure it out.

And once she got the Black Locket from Malfoy, and was paid handsomely for it, and completely this Ministry job, maybe it was time she went happily into early retirement. Find some way out there place in America or Asia or out in the deep country where no one ventured. Her smile grew. Yeah, that would be lovely.

A group of witches in front of her whispered back and forth.

"I can't wait to see the President!" A middle-aged witch giggled.

Ginny's eyebrows rose. She'd seen pictures of the man, he wasn't anything to giggle about.

"Do you think this is a good spot?" Another asked, stepping in her toes to see around a tall man in front of her.

Frowning, Ginny looked through the crowd to the pedestal. Maybe this wasn't the best spot. Maybe she should get closer.

"I don't think we can," another added. "I heard they added more security. We might just get a glimpse of him. I also heard that Harry Potter will be with him."

Ginny stiffened. More security and Harry Potter? Bloody hell. How'd he get involved in this?

"Harry Potter!" The first cried. "I've never seen him up close." And off they went talking about the man. It made her want to scream.

Instead, she looked towards the pedestal and the open area where the President and Minister would appear. Why double security?

It was probably best that she strengthen her glamour. It wasn't like she was going to steal the thing now. All she wanted was a peek today.

With everyone focused on one thing or another, Ginny looked down and tapped her wand to her face. Magic rose and melded her face. She clenched her jaw, waiting while it changed. It was over in two beats. Now, no one should recognize her.

Maybe she could chance getting closer. She inched passed a few more groups then came to a stop towards the corner of the space. She had an unobscured view of the pedestal. She grinned, heart speeding up. This was it. A first look at what would soon be hers! Merlin, she was excited.

She checked her watch. They should be arriving any minute. Looking around, she spotted the Patil twins, Oliver Wood, and a few others from her Hogwarts days.

Movement caught her eye and she stiffened when she spotted Neville heading her way. No! No one could know she was here! But then he turned a few feet before her, smiling. He kissed Hannah.