40 | Home

Harry watched Ginny and Jack struggle to the door. His hand gripped his wand. Jack. What were they going to do about Jack? He knew the truth. He knew who Fyrefox was. They couldn't just let him go. Could they?

"Harry-" Ginny started then paused when she noticed he wasn't following. Her eyebrows rose and she followed his gaze to the man she was helping. "Harry?"

Jack looked back too and stiffened. "Hey, I promised not to say anything." He held his hands up.

Could they trust him? Could they trust anyone? He glanced at Malfoy and Parkinson on the floor. Everyone who knew needed to forget. He couldn't put Ginny in danger like that. He pursed his lips and took a step towards them.

Ginny held up her hand and shook her head. "No, Harry. That's not necessary."

He frowned. "But he knows-"

She smiled. "Jack won't say anything. To anyone. Ever." She shot the man a look, eyebrows raised. "Right?"

Jack clenched his jaw. "Not a word."

Her smile grew and she patted him on the shoulder. "See! He's an honorable man. I'm sure." She tilted her head and looked at Jack again. "If he's not, well, he knows we'll find him anywhere."

Jack gulped. "Of course."

Grinning, she turned to Harry. He sighed, lowering his wand. "Are you sure?" He knew Jack better than she did, but could they trust him? Leave a witness? Merlin only knew if he would tell anyone. Sharp?

"I'm trying not to be offended by your lack of trust, Potter," Jack said and sighed. "Is my word not enough? Do you want me to do an unbreakable vow?" He stepped away from Ginny and held out his arm.

Harry stared at his hand for a moment then shook his head. "That's not necessary." He grabbed Jack's hand, though, and shook it. "I trust you."

Jack stared at him then cleared his throat. "I appreciate that."

With an exhale, Harry released his hand and looked at Ginny. "Now, you've got to get out of here."

Her eyebrows rose again. "What? Why?" She grabbed Jack's arm. "We've all got to get out of here. It would be terrible if we're caught with both of them."

"She's not wrong," Jack pointed out. "There'll be too many questions."

Harry stepped towards Ginny and reached out, caressing her cheek. "I need to call the Aurors here, and you can't be here for that. Jack stays too." He brushed his thumb over her bottom lip. "No one but us can know you were involved. No one can know the true identity of Fyrefox."

She frowned.

"He's right too," Jack added. He pulled away from Ginny and stepped towards Harry, wincing. "Shit. That hurts."

Her frown grew, and Harry bit back a sigh. She needed to go. It was the best option. Finally, she nodded softly, turning back to the door, but he grabbed her arm, spinning her back, and kissed her. When he released her a moment later, her eyes were closed, cheeks flushed, and her lips were slightly parted.

"I love you, Ginny," he whispered.

Her eyes opened and her smile took his breath away.

"Well, hot damn," Jack muttered.

Harry's eyes shot toward him.

Jack grinned, turning his head away. "Sorry."

"I love you too." Ginny took a step back towards the door.

"Use the disillusionment charm on your way out," Harry told her. "It's best if no one sees you leaving here."

"I will," she tossed over her shoulder.