Chapter 37: Two Sisters

I just stare at him. My mind is completely blank. I can't even think about what is happening. All of the sudden my dad, my real dad is across the table from me. What can prepare a person for that? I tremble for a moment. Then, my emotions brim all at once. The old dwarf stands just in time to catch me in a tight hug.

"Welcome home my daughter." He whispers into my hair.

My throat is tight with emotion and my legs are wobbly. Reluctantly, my father and I break the embrace. I wipe away the happy tears. The blonde girl, Ember gets to her feet as well.

"You are mine sister?" She asks, speaking slowly, sounding out the words. Her voice is soft, somehow sounding like the rushing of gems when they tumble one over the other.

"You're my sister." I smile.

I have a sister!

I approach Ember tentatively. I expect to shake hands with her or something, but she throws her arms around my neck. Delighted and shocked I hug her back tightly.

Once we let go, I become aware of the others in the room. Fili and Kili are grinning ear to ear and Bilbo has a happy smile on his face. Even Thorin seems to have a slight upward curve to his lips.

"I would like to introduce you all to my father and my sister." I smile, gesturing first to Dain, then Ember.

My father and my sister.

The perky mood continues for a few moments. However, the talk does trail back around to the war. We are on the eve of a battle after all. Thorin and Dain dismiss the rest of us. Insisting that they have trivial things to discuss and that we young people should go enjoy each other's company. I have no objections to this, I wish to get to know my sister.

Bilbo turns in to bed immediately, complaining of a headache. My sister and I walk side by side, flanked by the Dwarf-Princes. I learn that she only speaks Kudzul, the dwarves native language. Luckily, Fili and Kili will translate for us. As we walk up to the royal chambers, I start to get to know Ember.

"How old are you?" I ask.

Kili relays the message to her.

She answers in Kudzul and Fili speaks for her. "She says 'I am five and thirty years old. You're my big sister!'"

I smile. "So little-sister, have you ever met an elf before?"

Once Kili stops speaking, she laughs. "She says 'You were a surprise. I thought that elves were pale and weak. You are beautiful.'"

I blush, and Fili, who is relaying the message does the same.

"Careful brother," Kili teases, "She's mine and your fiance is watching."

Fili responds in Kudzul, making Kili turn bright red and my sister giggle.

Ember and Fili. My sister is engaged! Why didn't Fili mention her before?!

The brothers spiral off subject into good-natured teasing. My sister and I walk in amiable silence, laughing when the brothers make jokes in our respective languages.

My sister taps me on the shoulder. There is a slight pause as she carefully forms the words.

"What... What is Kili to you?" She asks.

I know that she is meaning to ask if we are romantically involved, but it throws my mind on a tangent.

"He... He is my friend, my protector, my love."

She has a confused look on her face.

"Tá sé mo Arkenstone. (He is my Arkenstone.)" I say in broken Kudzul, trying to explain. "I love him."

She reaches out, and takes my hand. Her hands are rough and calloused, no doubt from countless years of hard work. A smile spreads across her face. "Happy for you. Is breá liom Fili.(I love Fili) Durin boys are good."

I nod.

Two sisters in love with two brothers. What are the odds?