Prologue

It was another exciting day, but then again, everyday was an exciting day in Troll Village.

“Nothing sweeter than a gumdrop harvest, is there, Karma?" asked a Troll named Sprucesteen.

“Nope, it's sweet literally and metaphorically," she pointed out, bringing a gumdrop down from the tree. They came in many colors and were the size of the average Troll egg. “Uh, Sprucesteen? This one's kinda heavy and... smooth?"

Karma looked closer at the gumdrop and noticed a tiny green eye peeking out. She screamed at the sight and threw it like a football. The... whatchamacallit flew all the way to a basket-weaving circle, landed in someone's basket, causing it to bounce away and land in a nearby river. Karma and Sprucesteen watched as it floated away.

“Must've been a sparkly bird egg," Sprucesteen figured.

“Oh, now I feel bad for tossing it," Karma pouted.

“Don't worry, maybe another bird family decided to take it in," Sprucesteen said optimistically. “Let's get these gumdrops to Camp Sunshine."

With that, Karma and Sprucesteen loaded their cart and sent it to Camp Sunshine, where Troll children would play and bond with each other, and their parents would be there to help.

“Okay, everyone," Cyan, the assistant camp counselor, told the kids. “Single file with a smile."

“Excuse me, is this Camp Sunshine?" asked a silver Troll with colorful hair. Cyan didn't recognize her, but she seemed friendly enough.

“Yes, it is," Cyan answered. “I'm Cyan, King Peppy's right hand. And who may your baby girl be?"

“She's not mine, I'm just looking after her," she replied. “Her name's Willow, I'm Elora."

“Where are her parents?" Cyan wondered.

“They didn't say where they were going," she answered. “I guess they just wanted her out of their hair. Poor darling."

“Aww," Cyan replied sadly. “I can't imagine spending a moment with my little boy... Wait, where is he? Branch?!"

As Cyan left to look for her son, Elora noticed baby Willow pulling on her scarf and holding it to her face. It was soft, dark blue, and had a unique pattern on the edges.

“You like that?" Elora asked. Willow just babbled. “You can keep it. The color clashes with my eyes anyway."

“Okays," she mumbled, and began to fall asleep.

🍁🍂🍁🍂🍁🍂🍁🍂🍁🍂🍁🍂🍁

“Children, settle down," King Peppy announced. “Well, I think we've had a fun day today, and the perfect way to end it would be a story around the campfire."

“But not a scary story, right, King Peppy?" Cyan asked, pulling him aside. “Last time, Branch had nightmares for a week."

“Relax, Mrs. Birchwood," he reassured her and turned back to the children. He noticed his young daughter, Princess Poppy, pull Branch in for a hug.

“I won't stop hugging you until you smile, Branch!" she teased. Branch just rolled his eyes.

“Okay," King Peppy said, holding up an old scrapbook. “Many years ago, when I was Branch's age, Camp Sunshine took myself and some other children, many of whom were my closest friends, on a camping trip in a forest in the Distant North."