,34

Jungkook sat in silence, trembling hands folded in his lap, and head hung low. He could hear them talking outside his door. Hushed voices, murmurs, whispers, as to not let him hear what was being discussed. To keep him in the dark, all alone, for as long as they possibly could.

The door latch clicked and Jungkook looked up to see Taehyung, smiling at him. Jungkook wanted to return the gesture but it was as if someone had hung weights from his lips, pulling them down into a heavy frown.

"Are you guys ready yet?" Jungkook whispered.

Taehyung shook his head and sat on the bed beside him. "No, just a few more minutes then we can leave this place forever."

Jungkook hummed, pressing his thighs together to disguise the shaking of his hands. "You're talking about me aren't you?"

"In a way yes," Taehyung agreed and reached up to ruffle the hair at Jungkook's nape. "But we have to, we were just working out the final details."

"The details of your lies?" Jungkook mumbled.

Taehyung's hand stilled in his hair and the hospital room once again fell into silence. It was too quiet, enough for Jungkook to hear the wavering in his breaths. He leaned away from Taehyung's touch and inhaled shakily, the tremor in his hands making its way up to his entire body. Like hundreds of cold, clammy hands. Climbing up him, dragging him down until he was submerged in the icy waters of his panic.

"S-s-sorry...forget I said anything please hyung," Jungkook whimpered as he struggled to calm himself.

"Shh don't apologize," Taehyung shushed. "You're right kookie, we need to start being more honest with you."

Jungkook turned to Taehyung, staring at the boy with wide, shaking eyes lined with tears. Taehyung smiled once again and gently touched the younger's cheek, catching a tear as it slipped from his lashes.

"We've decided you're ready to hear the truth about what happened, so no more lies, okay?" Taehyung whispered and cupped the maknae's face, forcing him to make eye contact. "Okay Jungkook?"

Jungkook nodded, doe eyes wide and the tip of his nose flushed. "Yes hyung, I promise I'm ready."

Taehyung smiled. "Okay...well kook...six months ago...you, me, Jimin, and Yoongi were in a car crash."

— ten minutes earlier —

"Namjoon I just...don't feel comfortable lying to him like that," Jimin mumbled and rubbed at his clothed wrists.

"Then what have we been doing this entire time Jimin? We've been goddamn lying to him," Namjoon snapped, trying to keep his voice as low as possible.

Jimin bowed his head and Yoongi wrapped his arm around the thin boy, holding him close. "It'll be for the best Jimin, even if it's a lie he needs to believe something, we can't keep throwing random excuses at him."

"Alright." Namjoon nodded and looked at each member for any sign of objection. "It's settled then, we tell him he was in a car crash."

——

"A car crash?" Jungkook repeated, his voice wavering with the force of his tremors.

"Yes, that's why when you woke up my arm was in a cast and why Jimin and Yoongi hyung were in the hospital as well."

Jungkook blinked as a headache began to form in his temples. "But...Seokjin hyung said I had an accident when dancing, that I fell off the stage?"

"We just told you that because we didn't think you were ready to hear what really happened."