6 | IN WHICH SHE'S TRANSFORMED

Start from the beginning

'Now let's go get the good stuff,' Janette said, batting her eyelashes.

'How much are you allowed to spend on me?' Malora asked curiously.

'Actually,' she said, 'Mr. Pitts didn't see fit to set a limit.'  She winked conspiratorially. 'So we make hay while the sun shines.'

They walked around the back of Harrods and down Old Brompton Road. Janette was a mine of information. She knew everything about fashion, what's so in, what's so out, what's in if you were not really in, what got the best second-hand prices when you wanted to flog it.

She suggested a beautiful red and silver handbag in Gucci. 'To die for,' she said.

'It is a limited edition. Pure crocodile skin,' explained the snooty-faced sales assistant helpfully.

'Okay,' Malora agreed, bewildered by the price tag. She stood by the counter while Janette paid and wondered what sort of reception she would have received if she had come here alone.

'Let's go,' Janette sang merrily. She really loved shopping.

Then she was being led into Chanel.

All her life Malora had dreamed of owning a Louis Vuitton bag. Once someone gave her a fake Louis Vuitton bag for Christmas and she waited until a reasonable time had passed before giving it away to a charity shop. If she couldn't afford the real thing Malora didn't want to pretend.

Janette was clever. It was as if she understood; here her suggestions were unnecessary. All she said was, 'Choose.'

Malora felt she was in Aladdin's cave. It was impossible to choose, but in the end she picked the classic white with the leather interlaced gold chain strap. When Janette went to the counter she said, 'And we'll have that blue one too.'

'That's nearly seven thousand pounds!'

'Yes, but we have no limit. Besides, every girl needs a blue handbag. What else can you carry when you want to dress in white?' Janette argued reasonably. She phoned Henry to come and pick up the packages.

Almost in a daze, Malora was led into and out of a string of designer boutiques. Most of the shop assistants seemed to recognize and head for Janette immediately.

'Cupboard love,' Janette dismissed, as they fluttered around her with accommodating smiles. 'I am often here helping the wives of our high profile Middle Eastern clients spend their money.' Janette seemed very sure of exactly what will look good on her.

They bought a navy blue suit, a blue cocktail dress; a backless, sequined, black evening gown, and a sleeveless signature dress from Alexander McQueen, and of course shoes to match. Janette decided that she would need a black pair of court shoes for the trousers, dainty diamond-studded stilettos, five tone sandals, strappy tomato-red heels encrusted with swarovski stones, tall brown boots, and multi-colored, ultra fashionable platforms.  

'Right, we are almost running out of time, but first a quick trip to Versace. Versace can be too gaudy and whorish, but this season they have something that I think will suit you perfectly.'

That something turned out to be an electric blue silk shirt that was almost the same color as Janette's eyes and skin-tight black leather trousers.

'Exactly as I thought—fantastic,' she said, pleased with herself. She looked at her wristwatch. 'Perfect timing. Let's have some tea.'

Once again Henry came to collect the packages, and they found themselves a table in a French patisserie full of women. They ordered cream tea. Malora bit into a buttered cream and jam filled scone ravenously.