xxx. Back Under

╔═══════════════╗

chapter thirty.
( battle of the labyrinth )
❝ back under!

╚═══════════════╝

    I honestly thought there'd be nothing more about Rachel that could annoy me, I was wrong. A meeting was arranged in Times Square, and we found Rachel Elizabeth Dare in front of the Marriot Marquis, completely painted gold. (Ugh, she was one of those people). She was standing like a statue with five other kids all painted metallic━copper, bronze, silver. They were frozen in different poses while tourists hustled past or stopped to star. Some passers-by threw money at the tarp on the sidewalk.

    The sign at Rachel's feet said, URBAN ART FOR KIDS, donations appreciated.

   (Ugh, she's so good she raises money).

    Annabeth, Percy and I stood there for five minutes━but with my ADHD it felt more like five hours. I was getting impatient, and I crossed my arms, hovering beside Percy to mutter, "Can I push her off? Will she pay attention to us then?"

    Percy gave me a look that said, no. I scoffed and rolled my eyes. He then did something I wasn't expecting. He gently touched my elbow as if to tell me, it's okay, and I stiffened and went bright red. He touched my elbow! Oh, my gods he touched my elbow! Oh, my gods, oh, my gods, oh, my gods

    After another few minutes, a kid in silver walked up from the hotel taxi stand, where he'd been taking a break. He took a pose like he was lecturing the crowd, right next to Rachel. She unfroze and stepped off the tarp.

    "Hey, Percy," she grinned. I arched a brow, hoping that I'd scare her off. So far, it wasn't working. Rachel Elizabeth Dare wasn't intimidated by me. (Ugh, I hate her so much!) "Good timing! Let's get some coffee."

    We walked down to a place called the Java Moose on West 43rd. Rachel ordered an Espresso Extreme, the kind of stuff Grover would like. Annabeth got herself a banana smoothie, while Percy and I had accidentally gotten the same mango one. Both of us were red as we sat down next to each other with matching smoothies. I sipped at mine, trying to ignore how close he had chosen to sit next to me. I could feel his leg against mine. Part of me wanted to move because Rachel and Annabeth were here, but I didn't.

    "So," Rachel took a sip, looking me up and down. "It's Annabeth and ... Clary, right?"

    "Claire," I corrected her stiffly. Percy's gaze flickered back and forth between Rachel and I, as if sensing the tense air. "Do you always dress in gold? Or do you actually have some dignity?"

    Annabeth rolled her eyes, placing her forehead into her hand from where she sat beside Rachel. She didn't dislike her like I did (which I don't get. Come on, what is there to like about her? She's perfect with perfect red hair, a talented soul and raises money for causes. She's disgusting).