xxxiii. The Last Stage

╔═══════════════╗

chapter thirty-three( battle of the labyrinth )❝ gold eyes! ❞

( battle of the labyrinth )
❝ gold eyes!

╚═══════════════╝

There were plenty of reactions from the group of us that jumped out of the window and plummeted towards the valley and red rocks one hundred and fifty metres below. There were some screams (courtesy of Rachel Elizabeth Dare), curses (courtesy of Nico di Angelo), yells of delight (from guess who? Percy! You are correct!), angry shouts to those yells of delight (hi, that would be me) and angry silence as she tried to learn how to control the fall (that would be Annabeth, the only sane one out of all of us).

We swooped down towards the Garden of the Gods. Percy did a complete circle around one of the rock spires and freaked out a couple of climbers (because, yes, that's the priority right now). The five of us soared across the valley, over a road, and landed on the terrace of the visitor centre. It was late afternoon, and the place looked pretty empty, but we ripped off our wings as quickly as we could before stuffing the wings in the bin outside the cafeteria.

We peered up at the hill where Daedalus's workshop had been, but it had vanished. No more smoke. No broken windows. Just the side of a hill.

"The workshop moved," Annabeth guessed. "There's no telling where."

"So what do we do now?" asked Percy. "How do we get back into the maze?"

Annabeth gazed at the summit of Pikes Peak in the distance. "Maybe we can't. If Daedalus died ... he said his life force was tied to the Labyrinth. The whole thing might've been destroyed. Maybe that will stop Luke's invasion."

I stared at her, alarmed. She was right, but I didn't want to think that. Cain, Grover and Tyson were still down there. If Daedalus had died and the Labyrinth was destroyed...

"No," Nico said. "He isn't dead."

"How can you be sure?" frowned Percy.

"I know when people die. It's this feeling I get, like a buzzing in my ears."

"What about Tyson, Grover and Cain, then?"

Nico shook his head. "I can only sense Cain, and he's alive. The others, that's harder. They're not humans or half-blods. They don't have mortal souls. But if Cain's alive, then maybe Grover and Tyson are, too."

"We have to get into town," Annabeth decided. "Our chances of finding an entrance to the Labyrinth will be better. We have to make it back to camp before Luke and his army."

"We could just take a plan," Rachel suggested.

Percy shook his head immediately, shuddeirng. "I don't fly."