xxxiv. The God Complex III

╔═══════════════╗

chapter thirty-four( battle of the labyrinth )❝ the god complexpart three! ❞

chapter thirty-four
( battle of the labyrinth )
❝ the god complex
part three!

╚═══════════════╝

    Claire Moore has a thing against dark alleyways. She was found in one, alone, and they are dark and scary. But she was with Luke and Thalia this time, so she knows she will be fine. They will protect her. They are big and strong, and the best monster fighters there is. Little Claire Moore clutched Luke's hand as the three of them walked through a dark alley between red-brick warehouses. A sign above the doors read: RICHMOND IRON WORKS.

    Luke carried his bronze knife, and Thalia had her spear and really scary Medusa shield. Claire stayed close to Luke, really hungry. She wanted to ask when they will get food next, but she held off, seeing the look upon his face.

    "Are you sure?" Thalia whispered.

    Luke nodded. "Something down here. I sense it."

    Claire gripped his hand tighter, holding in her fearful sob. Luke glanced down at her and squeezed her hand gently. "Hey, it'll be okay. I won't let anything happen to you, okay?"

    She nodded, believing him.

    A rumble echoed from the alley, like someone had banged on a sheet of metal. Claire gasped, but they continued to creep forward. Old crates were stacked on a loading dock. Claire, Thalia and Luke approached with weapons ready (well, Claire was still working on her bow and arrow, but she's getting better! Thalia is teaching her!). A curtin of corrugated tin quivered as if something was behind it.

    Thalia glanced at Luke. Claire looked up at him warily. He gave her a nod and counted silently: One, two, three! He ripped away the tin and a little girl flew at him and Claire with a hammer. Claire let out a squeal and jumped back, quickly hiding behind Thalia.

    "Whoa!" Luke said.

    The girl was about Claire's age, with tangled blonde hair and was wearing flannel pyjamas. Claire peeked around Thalia, seeing Luke grab her wrist and the hammer she brandished skittered across the cement.

    The little girl fought and kicked. "No more monsters! Go away!"

    "It's okay!" Luke struggled to hold her. "Thalia, put your shield down. You're scaring her."

    Thalia tapped her shield and it shrank into a pretty silver bracelet. "Hey, it's all right," she said. "We're not going to hurt you. I'm Thalia. That's Luke. And this is Claire..."

    Shyly, Claire showed her face to the girl, stepping out of her hiding place just enough.

    "Monsters!"