xxxix. A Sleeping City

╔═══════════════╗

chapter thirty-nine( the last olympian )❝ a sleeping city! ❞

chapter thirty-nine
( the last olympian )
❝ a sleeping city!

╚═══════════════╝

Annabeth has a really cool shield. No, I'm serious. Amongst the sleeping city as we stepped down out onto the sidewalks from the Empire State Building, she had Argus give her this really cool shield before he would have to leave to defend Camp. It was one of Daedalus's inventions, and when she told us that you could see any target "━under the sun and moon, as long as natural light is touching it━" we immediately crowded around as she showed us.

And she was correct. We could see practically everything.

"Whoa!" Connor let out. "Back it up. Zoom in right there."

"What?" Annabeth asked nervously. "You see invaders?"

"No, right there━Dylan's Candy Bar," Connor grinned at his brother. "Dude, it's open. And everyone is asleep. Are you thinking what I'm thinking━?"

"Connor!" Katie scolded. "This is serious. You are not going to loot a candy store in the middle of a war!"

"Sorry," he muttered, but he didn't sound it.

Annabeth passed her hand in front of the shield, and another scene popped up: FDR Drive, looking across the river at━I think it's Lighthouse Park? (Yes, it's Lighthouse Park, Percy assured me).

"This will let us see what's going on across the city," she said. "Thank you, Argus. Hopefully, we'll see you back at camp ... someday."

Argus grunted, giving Percy a final: good luck, you'll need it look before climbing back into his van. He and the two harpy drivers swerved away, weaving around the clusters of idle cars that littlered the road.

Percy whistled for Mrs O'Leary, and she came bounding over. The only one happy out of all of us. "Hey, girl," he said. "You remember Grover? The satyr we met in the park?"

"WOOF!"

(Does that mean yes? I wish I could speak dog like Percy can speak horse and fish). "I need you to find him," he continued. "Make sure he's still awake. We're going to need his help. You got that? Find Grover!"

Mrs O'Leary gave him a sloppy kiss, and Percy scrunched his face up. Then, she raced off north.

Pollux crouched down next to a sleeping police officer, frowning. "I don't get it ..." he murmured. "Why didn't we fall asleep too? Why just the mortals?"

"This is a huge spell," said Silena. "The bigger the spell, the easier it is to resist. If you want to sleep millions of mortals, you've got to cast a very thin layer of magic. Sleeping demigods is much harder."