xxxii. The Ghost King

╔═══════════════╗

chapter thirty-two( battle of the labyrinth )❝ the ghost king! ❞

chapter thirty-two
( battle of the labyrinth )
❝ the ghost king!

╚═══════════════╝

    "This way!" Rachel yelled.

    "Why should we follow you?!" I demanded. "You lead us right into a death trap!"

    "It was the way you needed to go," she argued back and I scoffed. "And so is this. Come on!"

     I wasn't happy about it, but I had no choice but to follow. Running side-by-side with Annabeth, I let my feelings pass just for now. Rachel seemed to know exactly where she was going. She whipped around corners and didn't even hesitate at the crossroads. Once she said, "Duck!" and we all crouched as a huge axe swung over our heads. Then we kept on going as if nothing happened. No matter how much I will never admit it, I guess Rachel kind of knows what she's doing and is kind of useful.

     We didn't stop to rest until we came to a room the size of a gymnasium with old marble columns holding up the roof. Percy stood a the door, listenng for sounds of pursuit, but he soon met out gazes and shook his head. We lost Luke and his army in the maze.

    Mrs O'Leary was also gone. I didn't know when she disappeared but she had. I hoped she was okay━shadow-travelled out before Luke could catch her. I hated her owner; the traitor. But the dog, she had done nothing wrong.

    Percy's opponent━who's name I've learnt to be Ethan Nakamura━collapsed onto the floor. "You people are craszy," he pulled off his helmet and his face gleamed with sweat.

    And then it hit me━I knew that face. It's been a long time, but I knew that face. "You!" I gasped. "Annabeth━Annabeth━" I tapped the daughter of Athena next to me, and realisation crossed her face, too. "It's him! He was one of the undetermined kids in Hermes cabin, years ago."

     "Yeah," Annabeth murmured, her gaze narrowed. "I remember you."

    Ethan glared at us. "Yeah, and you're Annabeth and Claire. I remember."

    "What━what happened to your eye?"

    He looked away, and I got the feeling that it might be a touchy subject.

    "You must be the half-blood from my dream," spoke up Percy. "The one Luke's people cornered. It wasn't Nico after all."

    "Who's Nico?"

    "Never mind," said Annabeth quickly. "Why were you trying to join up with the wrong side?"

    Ethan sneered. "There's no right side. The gods never cared about us. Why shouldn't I━?"