Sued

An hour later, after Gabby had left for her job at the medical clinic, Amara was alone with the twins. She didn't mind. In fact, with her being distracted by bathing the twins, she hardly even noticed.

As she wrapped Joel in his towel after their bath, Amara paused. She heard something, but she wasn't sure what. Just as she was about to shrug it off, she heard it again. Someone was knocking at the front door.

"Great," she muttered. 

Judging by the fact that whoever it was wasn't going away, Amara assumed it was important. She quickly checked on Abigail, who was sitting on the floor, trying to eat her towel. She seemed like she'd be okay for a moment, so Amara shifted Joel to her hip and stepped over the baby gate that led to the stairs. She didn't want to leave them alone together--who'd know what they'd get up to?

As the person at the door knocked again, Amara quickly descended the stairs. Hoping her hair wasn't a mess, she took her chances and opened the front door. A man stood there, a file in his hand.

"Amara Gray?" the man asked.

"Yes," She answered, nervously. What was this about?

"You've just been served." The man handed her the papers and walked away.

---

"You're being sued?" Gabby said in shock.

Amara had been stressing out all day. Thankfully, Gabby and Ethan both got off around the same time, so she only had to explain once. The babies were sleeping upstairs, giving them a little bit of quiet time.

"Joshua wants custody of the kids," Amara said. She sunk back into the kitchen chair. "I should have known he'd do this eventually."

"But, why now?" Ethan asked. He sat down at the table with the girls. "You've had them for eight months and heard nothing."

"I don't know," Amara shook her head. "But I'm going to find out."

Ethan and Gabby watched  Amara as she got up from the table.

"What do you mean?" Gabby asked.

"I'm going to his office tomorrow, and I will find out what he wants with the babies," Amara said. She was fuming inside. "He denied responsibility before they were born, he can't just decide that he wants them now."

"I just don't understand," Ethan said. "What could he possibly have to gain? He has money, he has his own company, he's married. Why not just start his own family?"

"I gave him the option to be involved," Amara said. She paced the tile floor. "We could have raised them together. But now that I've seen what he's like, I don't want the twins anywhere near him. I will do everything in my power to keep him from getting custody."

"I don't think the judge will side with him anyway," Ethan said. "They almost always side with the mother, especially considering he's a deadbeat."

"I don't know," Gabby shifted in her chair. "I don't want to scare you, Amara. But he's got a lot of money. He's probably got the best lawyers money can buy."

It was quiet for a moment. Amara bit at her lip as she thought about it. Joshua had no right to sue her for custody, not when he had made it clear that he didn't want them in the first place. There had to be another reason that he wanted the kids.

Amara went upstairs and snuck into the twins' room. They had only gone down half an hour ago, but they were sleeping like--well, like babies. Abigail's eyes fluttered as she dreamed. Her eyelashes blended into her skin. Joel's hands rested in little fists next to his head. Amara could see the drool dripping out of his mouth.

"God," she whispered quietly, "please don't let him take them. They're all I have."

---

Amara stormed out of the elevator that had once been her transportation to her office. Actually, it was to Joshua's office, but Amara had been working as his receptionist, right up until she called him out on leaving her after getting her pregnant. She had taken responsibility--she had really had no choice--but he had gotten off scot-free. 

Amara didn't even stop at her former desk to talk to the new receptionist. She was so angry that she had tunnel vision. It was like there was no one else in the office.

"Wait!" A black haired lady stood as Amara stormed past her desk. "You can't go back there!"

Amara ignored her replacement. She barged into Joshua's office, despite the new receptionist chasing after her. She only stopped when she saw Joshua, her babies' father, making out with his new wife, Nicole.

He quickly pulled away when he heard the door open. His blue eyes widened when he saw Amara, though he didn't exactly look surprised.

"Gross," Amara commented, referring to their PDA.

"What are you doing here?" Joshua asked.

"What, you thought I was just going to let this come quietly?" Amara asked.  She dropped the papers on his desk.

Joshua looked to the stack of papers, then nodded to his receptionist. "You can go, Lacey."

The receptionist reluctantly left the room and shut the office door behind her. Nicole perched herself on top of Joshua's desk and pulled out her compact.

Nicole and Amara couldn't have been more different. Nicole sported a short, straight, bleached blonde bob, and was fairly tall,  especially in heels, which she wore often. She also wore a good amount of makeup and it appeared that she spent a lot of money on her face. Her nose, especially.

While Amara had no problem with wearing makeup and looking her best, she had to prioritize now. She just didn't have the time or energy to put in as much effort. Compared to Nicole, Amara was fairly short, and her curls were a little crazier than Nicole's hair would ever be.

"Would you mind explaining to me why you're suing for custody of the twins?" Amara asked, getting back to the problem

Joshua shrugged, leaning back against the desk. "Because I can."

"Okay, even I know you're not that shallow," Amara said, crossing her arms. "What's the real reason?"

Joshua and Nicole exchanged a glance. The two of them had a silent conversation with their eyes. Nicole shrugged. Joshua turned back to Amara.

"Alright, so," he began. "Not too long ago, we found out that Nicole can't have children."

"I don't know whether to be sorry or relieved," Amara muttered.

Joshua set his jaw, indicating that he heard that, but said nothing more. He had fired her, left her, and was now suing her. There was nothing left for him to do to her.

"Anyway, we figured that, because I have children with you, we could just take raise them," Joshua concluded. "Unfortunately, you were less than helpful last time I came for them, so I figured I'd get my lawyers involved."

"This is ridiculous," Amara spat. "You can't just take someone's kids just because you feel like it. There are tons of kids out there, just waiting to be adopted."

"Yes, but, as you reminded me quite often a year ago, these two are mine," Joshua stated. "And we will get custody of them."

Amara fumed. However, she tried to keep her voice even and cool. She didn't want then to know just how badly they were getting to her.

"Well," she said, straightening her shoulders. "I'll be speaking with my lawyer about this, and I'll be telling him everything you've said."

"Go ahead," Joshua said. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some work to do."

"Yeah," Amara said. She eyed Nicole. "I'm sure you do."