Turn Of Events

After Amara and Joshua gave their statements, the judge called a recess. He didn't state why, but Amara was glad to get out and get some fresh air. Just being in the same room as Nicole and Joshua was taking a mental toll on her.

"I'm sorry Amara," Justin said. "I should have warned you about her."

Amara shook her head in disbelief. "I didn't realize my sex life would be a major topic."

"Carolyn Carmichael is kind of infamous in the 'lawyer community'," Justin stated. "She wins a lot of her cases, but plays dirty to get there."

"So we can see," Ethan stated. 

He shifted Joel to his other hip. Both babies were awake now. Gabby was holding Abigail while Amara sipped from her water bottle. 

"What happens next?" Gabby asked.

"You, Ethan, and Nicole will have to give statements as well," Justin explained. "After that, the judge will make a decision. Probably."

Amara looked at her lawyer and narrowed her eyes. "What do you mean, 'probably'?"

"Sometimes it takes a while for a judge to come up with a decision when it comes to custody," Justin said. "It could be a couple of weeks."

"Great," Amara whispered. 

She might have to wait to find out whether or not she would lose the twins? As much as she was nervous about it, she had kind of wanted the answer today. At least then it would be over and done with.

After a few more minutes, everyone entered the courtroom again. Nicole was next to give her statement and answer questions. The lawyers each asked her several of the same questions they had asked Joshua. She answered each with growing distain towards Amara.

"Why do you feel you can give the children a better life than Miss Gray?" Carolyn asked. 

"As my husband said, we have quite a bit more financial stability than she does," Nicole answered bluntly. "And as Joshua said, the children should have 2 parents. Besides," Nicole tossed her fake-blonde hair, "I like the idea of being the step mom. It sounds like fun."

"Fun?" Amara whispered in disbelief.

This was a woman who had probably never even held a child in her life. And she considered parenting to be fun? Amara looked at the twins. These babies were the sweetest in the world, but even they had their moments. There was the bathing, the dressing the frequent feedings, the lack of social life. Now that they were starting to figure out how to move on their own, she'd also have to start watching them more carefully. Not to mention the poop. So much poop....

Nicole seemed to think that raising the babies would be all sunshine and rainbows, but unfortunately, it just wasn't true. If they won custody, they'd be in for a rude awakening, and then what? What would happen when they realized there was a lot more work involved with raising one baby, let alone two? 

"There are rumors that you and your husband had an open relationship," Carolyn said. "How would you like to respond to that?"

"That was true," Nicole answered. "Was. After we got married, we both agreed that the relationship was closed and that there would be no more seeing other people."

That made sense. It was nice to know that they actually respected their wedding vows. Once Nicole was finished with her questions, they called up Gabby. 

Justin questioned her first. "What's your relationship with the defendant?"

"That's Amara, right?" Gabby asked.