Later That Night

After a couple of minutes, Detective Milne exited the interrogation room and sighed. Amara noticed that he looked relieved to be out of there. Amara would be too; no way would she ever want to be stuck in a room with Nicole.

After going over his notes, Milne looked up and made eye contact with Amara. He walked over. Amara felt her stomach drop. This didn't look good.

Milne walked up to her, then knelt in front of her. "Okay, Miss Gray. It's getting really late, and, quite honestly, I don't think we're going to get much farther tonight. We don't have any evidence that you've done anything wrong, so you're free to go for the night."

Amara let out a sigh of relief. All she wanted to do right now was go home and go to bed. The last few hours had given her a lot to think about, and the new information made her feel like her head was going to explode.

"I think it's important for you to know that, even though your custody case will more than likely be thrown out, you will be taken to court for this one," Milne explained. He looked at Amara with hard eyes. "Don't leave town."

Amara nodded. She held back her smile until Milne stood and was out of sight. After letting out a sigh of relief, she went to the phone to call a cab home.

---

Gabby and Ethan sat at the kitchen table. Gabby tapped her leg anxiously, while Ethan rubbed at his lip. Neither of them had spoken for the past few minutes. Amara's tea still sat out on the table, while Gabby and Ethan's went cold.

"This is ridiculous," Gabby spoke suddenly, literally shaking Ethan out of his thoughts. "They're not going to keep her."

Ethan sighed. "Yeah, I know. But there's still that question of 'what if they do?'"

"I just wonder what's taking so long," Gabby said. "I mean, shouldn't she be back by now?"

"I don't know," Ethan said. "I would think she should be, but I guess we need to see it from their perspective."

"What do you mean?" Gabby asked.

"We know Amara didn't kill Joshua," Ethan stated, "but they don't. And we don't know what the police have already heard about their relationship."

It was quiet for a moment. 

"I can't believe he's actually dead," Gabby spoke again.

"I know," Ethan said quietly.

"I mean, less than a year ago, we had all been working for him," Gabby said. "How did this happen?"

Ethan shook his head, unsure of how to answer. He wished he knew. If he did, he could protect Amara from whoever it was who thought she was the killer.

Gabby's head shot up suddenly. "What was that?"

Ethan kept quiet as he listened. Just as he was about to answer, he heard it too. A baby's cry. They both turned toward the baby monitor.

"Uh oh," Gabby said.

"Well, Amara did say they'd be waking up to feed soon," Ethan said. "So, I guess that's on us for now."

"Maybe you should do it," Gabby said nervously.

"I can't take both of them," Ethan argued. "They're both going to need to be fed." He stretched as he stood. "If you want, I'll grab them and you can get the bottles ready."

"Okay," Gabby said. She stood from the table, but paused again. "You heat them in the microwave, right?"

Ethan watched her for a moment. "Maybe I should get the bottles. You can carry both of them, right?"