Another Interrogation

The next day, Amara sat in the interrogation room by herself. She was feeling a little better this morning, since she had gotten the chance to shower, sleep, and change her clothes. But that didn't make her any less nervous. 

Her palms were sweaty, she couldn't stop bouncing her leg. Looking up at the mirror in the room, she contemplated who was behind it. Probably a few cops. The detectives. Since Gabby had driven her here, maybe they were letting her watch. But Amara had no idea, and that was driving her crazy.

Just then, the door to the room opened. Detectives Milne and Ramirez entered, without a word, and sat down. Amara tried to read their expressions, but nothing.

"Okay, Miss Gray," Milne began. "We're going to start with what you were doing yesterday. We know you had a motive, but we need some evidence, either for, or against you."

"We believe Mr. Leonard was killed sometime in the early evening," Ramirez stated. "What were you doing during that time?"

Amara exhaled as she recounted. "Not a lot. After finishing at the courthouse, my friends and I went out for lunch. Then we went home. I was home the whole rest of the afternoon."

"It seems that Mr. Leonard was killed with a shot to the forehead," Milne stated. "Do you own a gun?"

"No," Amara said. For added emphasis, she shook her head.

"We already covered your relationship with Mr. Leonard," Ramirez said. "His wife seems pretty adamant that you're the guilty one. Does she have any reason to want you arrested?"

"Probably. She hates me," Amara admitted.

"Why?"

"Because of the whole thing that happened between me and Joshua," Amara said. "She thinks he cheated on her with me, even though they were on a break, and, until recently, she thought I was lying about him being a father."

"Have you had any contact with the Leonards outside of the custody trial?" Milne asked.

"No," Amara answered. "The last time I spoke to them face-to-face was when I confronted them about suing me. After they claimed he wasn't the father."

"Sounds like you were pretty angry about that," Milne stated.

"Of course I was," Amara said. She could feel herself getting desperate. "I practically had to beg him to even acknowledge that the babies were his! And then they turn around and try to take them from me? Of course I would be angry."

It was quiet for a minute. They asked her a few more questions, but they wrapped it up fairly quickly. 

"You can head out to the waiting room," Ramirez said as Milne slipped out of the room. "We'll be bringing in your roommate next."

"Actually," Amara waited until the door to the interrogation room closed behind the male detective, "I was wondering if I could watch. You know, behind the glass?"

Ramirez gave her a look. "I don't know. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to let you stick around for this...."

She watched Amara for a second before continuing, "He left you pregnant, huh?"

Amara nodded. 

"I hate it when guys do that," Ramirez said. "They think, just because they're not carrying the baby, they don't have to take responsibility."

Amara found herself nodding even as the detective spoke. "That's exactly what happened to me. I've always heard of it happening--"

"But you never expect it to happen to yourself," Ramirez finished for her. "I've heard it all." She paused for a moment, as she bit her lip. "Alright, you can watch. This is your innocence on the line, after all."