Security Tapes

Nicole brought Amara down to the floor below the floor that held Joshua's old office. Amara assumed that she didn't want anyone she knew to hear, but it still seemed strange.

"Everything I told you last night was true," Nicole said, in a voice that was barely above a whisper. "I didn't kill him, I had a fight with him, and I can't tell the cops that."

"Okay, so that wasn't the alcohol speaking to me last night?" Amara asked.

"Oh, no, it probably was," Nicole stated. "It just happened to speak the truth."

"I see," Amara crossed her arms. "And explain to me again why you can't tell Detective Milne everything."

"Because," Nicole sounded exasperated. "If I tell them I fought with him, mere minutes before he died, I might as well haul myself to jail and lock myself in."

"Minutes?"

"Well, I don't know," Nicole said, leaning against the wall. "I was gone for all of 2 hours. I don't know when exactly he was killed, but I don't want to jeopardize myself. They think I could have hired a guy to kill him."

"Was anyone else here after you left him?" Amara asked.

Nicole paused as she though back. "Just Mira, the receptionist." 

"The one who's leaving?" Amara asked. "Just out of curiosity, why is she leaving?"

"I never liked her," Nicole admitted. "She was making too many stupid mistakes. I had no use for her."

"You don't think she killed him?"

"Nah. She's too much of a wuss," Nicole said. "You know, the good girl. Kinda like you were."

Thanks," Amara said dryly. "Well, I got what I wanted. So I'll be leaving now. But I think you should be honest with the detectives. I think maybe that'll help your case."

"You really are insane, aren't you?" Nicole asked. "You think that if you tell the truth it'll all work out. It doesn't always work that way. You tell the truth and you still get screwed over."

Amara wasn't sure how to answer that. She knew Nicole wasn't guaranteed freedom if she did tell the truth. But she was keeping an important piece of information from the cops. So what if they had had a fight? At least that gave her a reason to have not been there when Joshua was killed. And if they found out about it anyway, Nicole would still get in trouble for withholding information.

Then again, that wasn't Amara's problem. She had tried to get Nicole to tell the truth, and, if she wouldn't, then she'd have to deal with it.

Just as Amara was leaving the building, she saw Connie entering the building. Before she could react, the two made eye contact, and Amara made her way over to the detective. 

"Hey, what are you doing here?" Connie asked before Amara could.

"I was just--checking in on someone," Amara said. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to check the security tapes," Connie answered. "I'm hoping to see whether or not Mrs. Leonard was actually telling the truth about leaving Joshua here by himself. And if so, maybe I'll see if the killer decided to show up after."

"Sounds interesting," Amara said. Actually, if that was what proved her innocence, maybe she should stick around too. "Would you mind if I watched too?"

"Why?"

Amara shrugged, but Connie smiled anyway. 

"Come on," Connie said. "The security room is this way."