Guilty?

Amara got to the police station as fast as she could. On the way over, all she could do was pray that the police hadn't decided to arrest her after all. But then, if they had, wouldn't they have come to her door like they had last time? 

Really, she had no idea what she was in for once she got there. Maybe she should have asked Ethan to drive her. Maybe she should have said a longer goodbye to the twins. By the time she got to the station, her hands were shaking. Amara took a big breath, and went inside.

Connie was waiting there for her. "Come with me."

"Where are we going?" Amara asked. When she didn't receive an answer, she pressed on, "What's going on?"

Connie led her to the room behind the mirror again. Amara could see into the interrogation room. Nicole was sitting at the table again, eyes blazing, tears running down her cheeks. Her lawyer, Carolyn, was sitting next to her, looking solemn yet almost angry. Detective Milne was standing, back to the mirror, with his arms resting on the table.

"We have reports of the two of you fighting the night he was killed," Milne said. 

"What?" Amara whispered. She hadn't told them that.

"We interrogated the receptionist yesterday," Connie explained.

"Yeah, okay, we had an argument," Nicole finally admitted. Amara was almost surprised she did. "But I didn't kill him!"

"Then how do you explain these messages on your phone?!" Milne pulled out Nicole's cell phone and dropped it on the table. 

"I don't know!" Nicole yelled, borderline hysterical again. 

Amara looked to Connie.

"There were messages on her phone between her and a hired killer," Connie said.

Amara's eyebrows drew together as she tried to make sense of that. Nicole had seemed so genuine when they had been talking a few weeks ago. Amara hadn't gone to Joshua's funeral, but she had heard from former co-workers that she had been absolutely heartbroken. So what happened? Had she been playing Amara and everyone else this whole time?

"I don't know where those messages came from!" Nicole shouted again. Her lawyer was trying to calm her down, but she was having none of it. "I didn't send them!"

"Well, they're on your phone, and there are messages from you," Milne stated. "So, explain that to me."

Nicole stared at the phone as the room went quiet. Then, her face crumpled. "I can't!"

The desperation in her voice sent chills through Amara. She shifted as Nicole buried her face in her hands.

"How'd you find out?" Amara asked Connie. 

"Anonymous tip," Connie said. "We're not sure who told us, but we're glad they did." She gave Amara a smug look. "Otherwise, she would have gotten away with it."

Amara watched as the other police officers enter the room and handcuffed Nicole. She had given up protesting, but her face was twisted into an expression that looked almost like she was in pain.

As the cops dragged her away, Carolyn said something to Detective Milne.

"Well, until you can prove that she didn't send those messages, she's as good as guilty," Detective Milne said.

With that, Milne left the room. Carolyn sat at the table for a minute, biting the inside of her lip. Amara was amazed. Carolyn, the smug and pretentious lawyer, whom Amara had been afraid of only a few weeks ago, looked absolutely defeated. Her blonde eyebrows were drawn together, and she looked completely tense.