Questioning

Amara nervously shifted in her seat as Joshua's lawyer walked up to give her opening statement. Because Joshua was the one who had sued Amara, his lawyer--who Justin had introduced to Amara as Carolyn Carmichael-- was allowed to go first. That didn't bode well for Amara.

She looked to the little car seat where Joel was still sitting. He was still quiet, and seemed to be really content with just sitting, so Amara didn't worry about him. Abigail tilted her head back and stared at the ceiling. She was fascinated by the ceiling fans. Amara struggled to hold her as the baby suddenly arched her back, but she managed to keep her from falling into Ethan.

"Your Honour, this morning, my clients are here to fight for the custody of the two young children that Miss Gray is raising. Mr. and Mrs. Leonard are concerned about the way Ms. Gray may be raising them. Given that Mr. Leonard is the biological father of the babies, we believe that he at least deserves a chance to raise them, and that he has a better means to do so."

"Oh, now he admits to being the father," Amara muttered.

"Yeah, now that there's something in it for him," Ethan whispered.

Justin approached the bench next to give his statement.

"Your Honour," he began, "my client would like to contest Mr. Leonard's custody claim. Ms. Gray has been raising the children from birth and sees no reason for things to change now. While she isn't in as good of a financial state as the Leonards are, she is concerned about leaving the babies with two people they've never even met."

Amara shifted again. Just the thought of losing the twins to Joshua sent shivers through her. Her heart was pounding and her hands were clammy. Gabby reached over and gave her a reassuring pat on the arm. It didn't do much to help Amara, but she was still glad of the support.

Next, the judge called Joshua up to testify against Amara and state why he felt that he deserved to keep the twins with him. This was the part Amara was dreading the most. They were both under oath, but they had also both done some shady things to each other, all of which could be condemning for either person. She just hoped that the judge would dislike Joshua more.

Joshua took the stand and confidently looked out at those who were watching him. Amara didn't know how he could be so self assured. Maybe it was because he had nothing to lose.

Carolyn stood, smoothed down her skirt, and addressed him. "Mr. Leonard, could you explain why you want custody of the babies who are currently in Miss Gray's care?"

"Of course," Joshua said with a charming smile. Amara's lip curled in disgust. How could this be the same man she had once thought was so perfect?

"I am the babies' father," Joshua stated. "Unfortunately, Miss Gray hasn't even given me the chance to see my children, let alone spend time with them. I don't think I've ever even met them."

"You expressed concern over how the children are being raised," Carolyn said. "Would you care to elaborate?"

"Yes," Joshua said. He looked over at Amara before continuing. "Miss Gray used to work for me before the conception of the children. However, after becoming pregnant, she became increasingly hostile towards Nicole and I, so I had to fire her. When I met up with her once to discuss the children, she obviously had no job, and I fear that this may negatively impact the babies."

"He came to ask me for custody when they were a week old," Amara said in a low voice. Her words shook with anger. "Of course I didn't have a job! He didn't even try again before suing me."

"Justin knows that," Ethan whispered. "He'll take care of it."

Amara just hoped he would.

"Amara has a lack of income at this point," Joshua continued. "I just don't see any reason to excuse children living in poverty. Nicole and I can give the babies so much more and give them more opportunities in life."