Court

Gabby wandered into the kitchen, where Amara was sitting at the table. She noticed something in Amara's hands as well as what looked like craft supplies on the table.

"What are you doing?" Gabby asked, pouring herself a cup of tea. "Do you want some?"

"I already have a cup, but thank you," Amara nodded to her teacup, which was buried under a few pieces of fabric. "I'm making scrunchies."

Gabby tilted her head in confusion. "Scrunchies? As in, those thick ponytail things they used to wear in the eighties?"

"Yeah, they seem to be coming back," Amara commented. "I've already got three orders."

"Wait, are you selling them?" Gabby asked. She moved to sit at the table across from her friend.

"Yeah. I saw it on Facebook," Amara said. "People seem to love homemade hair accessories. I'm hoping to include bows as well at some point."

Gabby cocked a red eyebrow. "Are you doing this because you need some source of income right now?"

"It's just until I find a full time job," Amara admitted. "I need to do something. Otherwise, they'll take the kids away from me for sure."

Gabby was quiet as she watched Amara do her thing. It amazed her just how quickly Amara worked, not to mention the determined expression that remained on her face as she did so.

"Just don't get burned out," Gabby warned. "You're a mom, you're under a lot of stress--the last thing I want to see is my best friend having a mental breakdown."

Amara smiled. "I appreciate it."

---

Amara pulled the sides of her curls hair back into a half-up, half-down style and secured it with a hair elastic. She straightened her navy blue business jacket. She would have worn the black one, but Abigail had spit up on it, so it was out of the question.

"Is it normal for me to be this nervous?" Amara asked.

"Given that you're going to paternity court, yes," Ethan said.

Amara picked up Joel and began to buckle him into his car seat. "I hope they'll be good. I don't really want to bring them..."

"It'll be good for the judge to see you with them," Gabby spoke up. She picked up Abigail and brought her over to Amara.

"Still." Amara took her wiggling daughter and put her in the car seat. "I've had off days before. What if I can't control them?"

"Amara, it'll be fine," Gabby stated. "You're great with them. What judge won't be able to see that?"

"Besides, they've never even met Joshua," Ethan said. "So they'll be more comfortable with you."

Amara tried to smile, but she didn't feel hopeful. She still hadn't found a job yet, though it wasn't for lack of trying. No one was hiring right now. She just hadn't been able to get an interview. The only thing she had was her scrunchie business, but how long would that last? Surely the fad would die out sooner or later.

Ethan and Amara climbed into the minivan after securing the twins. Gabby took her own car, and would meet the two of them at the courthouse. Amara was supposed to drive, but her hands were shaking too much and she was having a hard time focusing on anything but the trial, so Ethan offered to instead.

"I'm sure it'll all work out," Ethan said.

"I know," Amara responded. "I'm sure it will too, but I can't seem to convince myself. I just keep thinking that Joshua's going to fabricate something or use our past against me."