I crawl right up to the bars, and press my face through them. The cool bars send shivers through me but I don't care. If I'm going to die, I'd rather die with someone I know. Rather than cold and alone. Kam's face is grim, he's frowning, and so are his eyes. They look so utterly sad.

    "I'm so sorry," he says quietly, "I'm doing everything I can to get you out of here. They won't hurt you. I promise."

    Kam sits down on the stone in front of my cell. He brings his knees to his chest, hugging his legs to his body. Like I was earlier. Looking for what little comfort we could offer ourselves. I try reaching my chained hands through the bars. They won't fit. I sigh and pull them back. He gives me a sad smile. I just wanted to comfort him. I know he didn't mean for any of this to happen. I know Kam, he wouldn't try to kill me. Especially because he thinks I'm his mate. "None of this was supposed to happen," he says more to himself than me, "they came as back up in case you got violent," he looks up and smirks, "because you're Ember Ryvergrave, when aren't you violent?" A broken laugh escapes my lips, it sounds more like a cough, but Kam smiles at it. "They didn't tell me they were going to take you. When they shoved you in that iron cage . . ." His voice trails off, anger seeping out of him. "I lost it, I killed all of the guards and pulled you out. I took you in the carriage and I cradled you the entire time. I was so terrified, Ember. They were able to catch you off guard, you're never been caught off guard." He looks up at me. I can see the terror in his eyes. The terror he feels for me.

    "What's he going to do to me?" I ask leaning the side of my face against the iron bars. Kam sighs, "He wants to observe you, tomorrow they're moving you to your very own room. I don't know what will happen from there."

    He scooches closer to me. I can see it's straining him to be this close to the iron. I try putting up a hand to stop him from getting any closer but he ignores me. He puts his face right beside mine. "Nothing will happen to you," he promises, I can see the sheer determination in his face as he says it, "if they so much as lay a hand on you, it'll mean war."

    "Because I'm your mate?" I ask.

    He nods, "Yes, killing you means going to war with Llyria. Killing the High-King's mate is an act of treason. King Adrian isn't that stupid."

    I frown, "Why didn't you tell me you were King of Llyria?"

    Kam frowns as well, "I wanted you to know me-Kam-not High-King Kamolinn Alinac. I'm sorry I didn't tell you."

    I nod my head. "No point in holding a grudge when I'm going to die." I say with a smirk at the end. Kam scowls at me, "You are not going to die." He grinds out.

    I laugh, but it turns into a violent coughing fit, Kam's gold eyes are wide. I feel something slimy and thick in my throat, I crawl to my waste bucket and spit. Blood. I'm coughing up blood. Splendid. Just wonderful.

    "How lovely," I drawl, wiping my mouth with the back of my hand, I turn back around and crawl back to Kam, "it appears that I am coughing on my own blood." His eyebrows are practically in outer space. "That's not possible! How are you spitting up blood?"

    I shrug and lean back on the cool bars. I close my eyes and curl my body against the iron. My eyes feel very droopy again. "No, no! I need your eyes open, love." I shake my head, I pull my legs up and lay my head on my knees. I feel Kam's hands on my face. He gently lifts my head so I'm looking at him. He's groaning the entire time. I may hate what he did to me, but I can't stand to see him hurt. "Stop, Kam, the Blessed Iron-"

    "I don't give two shits, Ember. I need you awake." He snaps.

    "I'm too tired Kam-" Kam cuts me off doing the most absurd thing. He kisses me. He pulls my face up to the bars and slams his lips on top of mine. My eyes widen. What is he doing? We can't just-