Not my Area of Expertise

Art above by arrival-layne on Tumblr

~This story was suggested/inspired by Harrichristy123456 comment ~

Kanan's POV: 

        I roam the halls of the Ghost aimlessly looking for a job or task to do. Anything to get my mind off the events of last night at the Fort Anaxes. Something bad happened and I have no clue how to talk about it with Ezra. He's the one who used the Darkside. I felt it. He has so much built up anger and resentment, he's stronger than me and I never finished my own training. 

       How am I supposed to train someone whose skills pass my own? I sigh and press my hand against the wall next to me. I stare at the door leading to Ezra and Zeb's cabin searching for a sign I should go inside. No physical sign does come, I just have a gut feeling I should go talk to him now. Even if I have no idea how too.

Ezra's POV:

       I stare blankly at the wall in front of me. I involuntarily fidget my fingers nervously. I have no idea what happened. I don't remember anything from last night, I know we rescued Tseebo, and almost  got caught so Kanan and I parted from the others. We flew to Fort Anaxes where I did something. 

       Kanan told me on the ship that I used the Darkside, that I had a moment where I was surrounded by hatred, anger, fear. I haven't felt right since. I'm cold, my head hurts, I feel sick... and I'm scared. 

       I hear the door slide open abruptly. I dart my gaze to the person standing in the doorway. Kanan. He steps inside looking sightly nervous. I sit up and look down at him from the top bunk.

       "What's wrong?" I ask him, even though I know about a million things are wrong right now. He sighs and sits down on Zeb's bunk. I jump down and stand in front of him rubbing the back of my head not knowing exactly what to do. 

       "I feel like I could have prepared you more. I should have warned you about the Darkside." He says blankly looking down. I look away making sure our eyes don't meet by chance. 

       "I won't do it again okay. I don't really want to talk about it." I lean against the small table crossing my arms. 

       "But I can sense you do want to talk about it. I also know you want answers. Answers that I can't give you. And I'm sorry Ezra." His voice cracks slightly with emotion. All these months I've known Kanan he's never once broken character around me, or Sabine, or Zeb and from what I can tell Hera. 

       I sigh slightly and walk over beside him I sit down on Zeb's bunk and look down at the blemishes on my boots. After what seems to be forever of dead silence I say something. 

       "I don't blame you. If that's what you're thinking." He looks up at me finally lifting his gaze. I look him in the eyes, "I just have problems outside the ship that I don't like talking about and I guess 7 years of being on my own finally caught up to me." I tuck my knees into my chest and think of a way to avoid the upcoming conversation. 

      "We all have our secrets, Ezra but sometimes we need to let them out." Kanan sets a hand on my shoulder and I have no idea what comes over me but I leap into his arms. 

Kanan's POV: 

       I have no idea what comes over the kid but he jumps into my chest without hesitation. I freeze for a moment before wrapping my arms around his tiny frame. I watch as he restrains tears from falling. 

      As I hold him the thought crosses my mind that this may just be the first hug he's had in 7 long years. I have no clue what I'm doing and I've never been good with kids, even at the Jedi Temple, younglings were not in my area of expertise. 

       I hold him tighter and feel him sliding closer towards me. I move my hand up to his head and hold him there. I hold him until I feel the anger, hate, resentment go away.  I hold him until everything washes away. 

So I am not good at writing fluff at all but this is good practice. A Thank you to Harrichristy123456 for the adorable idea.