Rise of the Old Masters Part 1

~~~ This story was suggested/inspired by @Harrichristy123456 comment ~~~ 

Ezra POV-

       Training on top of the Ghost didn't go over so well, I ended up almost dying no thanks to Zeb or Chopper. I look down at the ground I could have just landed on and breathe out trying to slow my racing heartbeat.

        I look back at Zeb who gives me a worried and apologetic look since me almost dying is slightly his fault. Rolling wheels come towards up and I see Chopper rise at the top of the ramp holding one last milk carton.

       He throws it but this time I swerve my head out of the way letting it fall down to the ground far below. Zeb gets up and helps me to my feet, though I feel like they're not able to support me with how much I'm shaking. It's not that I'm scared anymore just the adrenaline running through my veins is overpowering.

       I go through the halls avoiding the looks from Hera and Zeb as I pass them. I approach the door to the empty space and as it opens I see Kanan stepping down from the ladder. I walk quicker trying to avoid his criticism but me manages to make a comment either way.

       "You weren't focused." He turns to face me. I walk behind the ladder and turn my head to him.

       "It's hard to focus when I'm falling to my, DEATH." I wave a hand gesturing him away. I turn back around to go into the common room but Kanan grabs my arm tightly. I flinch slightly but look into his eyes hoping his hair would burst into flames.

       "You wouldn't have been falling to your death if you had been focused. You're undisciplined and full of self doubt." He points a finger to the ground condescendingly. I harden my gaze and rip my arm away from his grasp. I may doubt my own abilities but that's only because Kanan points out all I'm doing wrong and not what I'm doing right. It's like nothing I do will make him happy.

       "Well whose fault is that? Master." I counter sharply, hiding my real emotions under sarcasm and anger. I turn around quickly and immediately feel slightly bad for blaming Kanan for my own problems. He's doing the best he can, he never completed his own training. Kanan sighs and I can almost see his eyes rolling from behind me.

       "It's difficult to teach." His arms wave behind my head like he's giving up on my abilities all together. I look away from everyone's gaze.

       A hand grabs my shoulder and spins me around suddenly. I turn to face Zeb glaring down at me.

       "He means it's difficult to teach you." Zeb shoves me away, closer to the wall behind me. I step back slightly scared. Kanan grabbing me, Zeb shoving me not in a teasing way, it scares me. Zeb shakes his head and walks past me. I can feel the anger and disappointment radiating off of him.

       Hera stands at the end of the hall watching the whole thing with Chopper wheeling up beside her. She doesn't say anything, she just shoots me a soft smile. I give her a half hearted smile back but almost as soon as I show it, the smile disappears and is replaced with a grim look. She pushes off of the wall and starts to walk closer to me. She reaches a hand out and gently places it on my back guiding me to the common room.

       We all stand cramped in the small room. Sabine sits on the couch readying the Holotable.

       "Kanan..." I start to apologize but the Holonet shoots on. Sabine presses her gloved finger to her lips and shushes us.

       "Quiet. We made the Holonet." She states meaning our previous mission was reported. She intertwines her fingers and stares up at the glowing hologram in amusement.

       "The stolen tie fighter was later used to attack a transport full of innocent workers." The voice states with no apparent emotion. Zeb throws his hand up.

       "You liar! We set 'em free." He complains loudly about the report. A swishing sound takes our attention away from Zeb's remark. A picture of an older almost bald man with a moustache pops up on the screen.

       "Citizens. This is Senator in-exile Gal Travis. I bring more news the Empire doesn't want you to hear." His voice appears but no video goes with it. I raise an eyebrow confused.

       "What's a Gal Travis?" I turn to Hera. She places one hand on her hip.

       "The only member of the Imperial Senate with the courage to speak out publicly against the Empire." She clenches her fist staring at the floating hologram.

       "One of the Republic's greatest peacekeepers, Jedi Master Luminara Unduli, is alive." A recording of a Mirialan woman in a prison jumpsuit accompanied by two stormtroopers plays. I see out the corner of my eye, Kanan and Hera glancing at each other before regaining their interest in the news.

       "She has been imprisoned unlawfully somewhere in the Stygeon System. As citizens, we demand the Emperor produce Master Unduli, and grant her a fair trial before the entire sen-" The recording cuts out and the lights turn back on throughout the room. I look to the ground thinking.

       "This Luminara? You knew her?" I turn to face Kanan shyly. He holds his chin in one hand and closes his eyes thinking.

       "I met her. Once. She was a great Jedi Master." He praises Luminara with glowing eyes, "Brave, compassionate, disciplined." He clenches his fist and looks back down at me.   

 (compassionate...? ya right! towards what exactly? not her evil padawan that's for sure)

       "In fact. She'd make a great teacher for you." He points at me smiling. I have to hold back my protests. I've caused enough trouble today already. I sit in silence as he continues talking about her.

       I hardly pay attention to him. All I can think about is how he's gonna ditch me with some random Jedi Master he met once. I clench my jaw holding in my rising anger. I agreed to train under Kanan, what if I don't want a different teacher? Do I even get a say in that?

       "The rest of you prep for an op." Kanan turns and walks out of the room without another word. I can't believe I was about to apologize to him before. I close my eyes and keep my head low trying to process everything that just happened.

       Zeb's large hand pushes down on my shoulder. I raise my hand and hold my jacket sleeve for a moment. I hear Sabine jump over the Holotable and leave following close behind Zeb. Chopper beeps a couple times.

       "You hear that? He's done with me. He's gonna pawn me off to some stranger." I say looking down. I know it's unfair to compare this to the slavery going on around the galaxy but it's what it feels like. When one master doesn't want you anymore, you get handed to a new one without any say.

       Chopper warbles laughter and mocks me. I look up to the ceiling with so many feelings. Disappointment, grief, defeat. Chopper rolls away, I glare at him as he leaves, but the angry feelings leave and are once again replaced with the grieving ones. 

This is only Part 1 of 3 so hold tight. Also let me know if there are any spelling/grammar mistakes, I rushed this.

I also have a story idea that could tie into this episode of Rebels. Kanan actually passed Ezra down to Luminara because she lives. Anyone interested in a story like that? 

May the Force be with you... Always.