Arc 3: Chapter 54

Hearing her answer made him burst into laughter. Elenor raised an eyebrow at him, not understanding why he found her answer so funny. She was complimenting his face like any noble would do to get on someone's good side.

'Maybe I added fuel into his pride and ego.' she pondered to herself.

"If I may, could my lady tell me her name?" he asked once he calmed down from laughing.

Elenor did a curtsy before answering his question, "Elenor Berry Hester."

"Oh you're Marquess Hester's daughter?" he asked which she nodded.

"Since you know my name, I think it is right for me to ask as well." Elenor cheekily smiled.

The tan man let out a chuckle before telling her his name. "I'm-"

"Milady," Alec's voice cuts the conversation off.

Elenor turned around to see Alec heading towards her direction. He stood beside her, almost protectively. His eyes swept across the tan man before turning to Elenor.

"Milady, Lord Richard has been looking for you."

"Oh shoot did I keep you both waiting long?" she gasped softly, forgotten that she had two people waiting for her return.

Alec shook his head, "Not long but Lord has started becoming anxious, especially since that incident at the theatre." he softly spoke the last sentence only to her.

"I guess we should hurry back then," before she left with Alec, she turned to the tan man and sheepishly smiled.

"My apologies but I must return back to my brother."

He smiled and shook his head, "No worries, it was nice chatting with you. Hopefully we can see each other next time."

"Yes hopefully we can," she returned him a smile before walking away with Alec who had his arm protectively guarding her back.

"Who was that?" Alec asked in a whisper as they headed back to where Richard was waiting.

"Just someone I bumped into by accident," Elenor said before waving it off.

"Did he harm you in any way?"

"No I'm perfectly fine."

Alec pressed his lips into a thin line and said nothing more. When she wasn't looking, Alec signalled over to someone.

"Find out who he is and report back to me." he silently said to the man who walked over.

It was loud yet the man was able to hear him. With a nod, Alec dismissed him and continued walking behind Elenor all the way until they returned back to where Richard had been anxiously waiting.

"I was worried you got kidnapped again!" Richard spoke, his voice dripping with worry.

Instantly, Elenor felt guilty for leaving them too long. She hung her head down, "I'm sorry brother."

"As long as you are safe everything is fine, now let's go home." Richard smiled brightly making any lady close to them, swoon over him.

"...Brother your powers are too strong."

"...Pardon?"

"Nothing, let's go home now brother."

The piano recital finished without a hitch and Elenor had a good night's rest once her head fell against her pillow.

The next day, Alec walked into her room with an envelope in his hand. Elenor thought it was from either Lloyd or Rosina but upon taking closer inspection, she noticed the stamp used to seal the envelope.

With an eyebrow raised, she allowed Alec to use a paper knife to remove the letter out of the envelope. She unfolded the letter and skimmed through the content inside. Alec who had been quiet the whole time he had returned back with the envelope finally spoke up,

"What's in the letter?"

She glanced at Alec. Without even saying, he could tell she was just as confused as him. She handed the letter over to Alec and fell onto her couch.

Alec glanced at the letter before looking back at her, "She invited you to her house?"

Elenor nodded, "Yeah," she got up and sat in a cross legged position.

"Don't you think it's weird? She was the one who was saying how I should watch my back and how she won't give me mercy anymore blah blah blah."

She looked at Alec with an utterly confused look. "And now she invited me over to her house for a chat?! Makes no sense!"

Elenor fell back and let out a groan before pressing her face into a pillow lying around. Alec didn't say much and watched her actions before looking away.

He had his hand hovering over half of his face, trying to conceal his smile that was making its way up to his lips. He couldn't help it. Not when she was looking this adorable, especially her confused looks and expressions. Elenor didn't notice this as she still had her face buried into the pillow.

"Do you want to accept?" Alec asked, clearing his throat, returning back to normal.

She pondered a bit before grinning widely. Alec had an eyebrow raised, looking at her strange grin.

"Decline it."

"You sure?"

Elenor nodded, "Yeah besides what can she do? Try to barge into the manor and murder me?" she let out a confident laugh.

"There's no way she can. I got someone who can easily protect me by my side~" Elenor hummed, playing with the pillow in her hands.

"..."

"Hm? What is it?"

"You're still not conscious of me?" he questioned, taking a few steps closer to where she was.

Elenor blinked a couple of times before a teasing smile bloomed on her face, "Should I be?"

Alec frowned at her reply, growing agitated. He continued taking more steps closer to her.

"Is my confession not good enough?" he asked, his eyes never once leaving her.

She didn't answer him which made him more irritated. He leaned closer, now their faces just a few inches apart. Any closer and their lips would be touching right now. She could feel his breath on her skin.

"Am I just a butler and character to you?" he harshly whispered, a frown still between his brows.

Elenor stared at him before lifting up her fingers to massage the frown away. She could feel him slightly tensing up from her touch but she brushed it away. After a long while she answered him,

"No."

"Then-"

"You want me to be honest with you?" she cut him off, looking at him straight in the eye.

He didn't reply back so she took his silence as a yes.

Still continuing to massage the frown away she spoke again, "I don't like you that way."

---

Author's note: hm i'm neutral about this chapter, i like it but at the same time meh