"Not to worry, master," Ash said, hovering the sharp edge over the palm of her hand. "It's for me."

In a motion so swift that I couldn't even react in time, Ash had sliced open her skin, a clean cut right across her hand. The blood that flowed and dripped, it made me a bit nauseous, but Ash didn't even flinch. I don't think she even felt the cut.

"Was that really necessary?"

"Yes."

Ash clenched her fist, gushing more blood to leak out of her wound, a free flow of crimson red splattering onto the floor. Just like she did with the salt, Ash went a full round, staining everything with her blood, speaking as she did.

"Vampires, particularly in regards to Matriarchs, have a tendency to feast on the blood of the young, especially those pure of spirit."

"Pure of spirit?" I asked, weaving my head around her hand as she coated the armchair.

"Virgin blood, pure blood" she explained, going her way, blood dribbling down her fingers to my bedroom to continue her thing. "A Vampire's quintessential meal. Much as I crave the taste of frosted flakes myself, vampires go on frenzies simply for a mere drop of one."

I followed after her, swinging my doorway to see her coating the ends of my bed with blood.

Virgin blood, huh? Wait a minute...

"How did you know I was a virgin?"

Ash paused, bent over by the bedside table. She looked up at me with a peculiar look on her face. "I... merely assumed. Why? Are you not a virgin, master?"

"No! I mean - Yes! I mean - I am, I am," I said, shifting uncomfortably. "It's just... Well, how did you arrive at such a conclusion? Did you sniff me or something?"

"I could sniff you all day, and I already have, but know that no information would be gained by such an act. No master, I've simply deduced. Your lifestyle, your personality, your... uhh, demeanor... through a maiden's eyes - forgive the bluntness, master - but there exist far desirable alternatives besides you."

Ouch.

"Good to know," I said, feeling a stabbing in my chest that had nothing to do with anxiety, or knives for that matter. "Looks like my virginity is going to be the death of me."

"So it seems."

There was silence for a moment, and then...

"Wait, did you say you sniffed me already?"

"All done!" Ash shot up from underneath the bed frame, letting out a big breath of accomplishment. "All preventive measures have been taken, I have recited every protection incantation I could recall... Now we pray that these attacks will not last for long."

"That's it?"

She nodded. "That's it."

The green glint of her eyes followed me as I took a seat by my desk. I opened up a few cluttered drawers before I found the stuff that I was looking for.

Bandages and a bottle of disinfectant. I held it out in front of her, gesturing for her to come near me so that I could apply it, which she promptly did by taking a place at the end of the bed and stretching her arm out towards me.

The gash in her palm continued to trickle blood. How deep did she cut herself? How much blood did she lose for me?

As I doused her hand with the bottle, my eyes darted to the many trails and splatters strewn throughout the room. Now she's literally bleeding for me, for my protection.