Chapter 9

I never actually had any pets while growing up. I liked dogs. But I never had any dogs to love and care of. Dad said it was 'cause of allergies. Mom told me she was just uncomfortable with them in the house. Don't know which reason it was that ultimately led to the banning of cats as well, whatever the case, our household would continue to remain furry-free in times to come.

So forgive me for comparing Ash to a very energetic golden retriever or something, because as she continues to stick her head out of the taxi window, the wind blowing strongly at her wide, grinning face, it was all that could come to mind at the moment.

Never seen her having this much fun before. Her expression relishing the speedy breeze, letting the hoodie fall and blowing her snowy-white hair back, softly giggling at such a wondrous sensation.

I gotta say, it really suited her.

But all things, even happy things, must come to an end eventually, and alas, the taxi slowed to a stop.

"7.80," spoke the bemused taxi driver.

With a little tinge of guilt, I plucked out a ten that I obviously did not deserve on getting in the first place and paid him.

"Keep the change, man," I said. Should have taken it instead, but oh well.

"Master," Ash tugged at my sleeve with her hand, brushing her frazzled hair in place with the other. "May we...ride -? Pardon, I mean to say, if ever the opportunity arises, would we perhaps... it's not necessary, but..."

Looks like she's still having a little bit of trouble expressing her wants. Slow and steady, Ash. Take your time.

"We'll take another taxi home after we're done here. You wouldn't mind, right?"

Her emerald-green eyes were practically sparkling with enthusiasm. "Not at all, master."

We're gonna have to work on dropping that whole 'Master' thing as well. It just doesn't feel right. Nevermind that now, we've got lunch to be eating.

The moment our feet hit the pavement, the taxi sped off on its way, leaving Ash to stare longingly away at it as it disappears from sight.

Out of everything that exists in the modern world, why was it that cars were the thing that fascinated her the most? I have no clue.

Just wait till she realizes that garbage trucks are a type of car too.

"Your hoodie is down," I said, drawing it back up for her. "This part of town is quite busy, don't want people to be staring at you now, do you?"

"Never really was a concern of mine, no."

"What, really?"

"Stares, slanders, jeers... Not a day goes by where I've experienced one without the other. While Elves may be a foreign race in yours, in my own land, our existence... well, it's not held in high esteem as most other races are."

The rare few times I had her talking about her past, all I've heard were nasty and grim things about it. Pressing her for more information would usually result in her steering away from the conversation, I knew that, but I still would really like to know more about where she came from.

"How do you mean?" I asked, hoping she'd continue.

And to my utter surprise, she did.

"There was an incident involving Elvenkind. An incident that would curse our people for ages to come. As such, many would come to see us with hatred in their hearts. A painless death was the most we could hope for, once one of our own has been taken captive by the other races."