Chapter 4

It didn't take long for me to recount my sad, unfortunate tale to the Elf with perked ears. She stayed mute over the course of what seemed like an hour and by the time I was done, the lit candle had burned down to a sizable portion.

Though some clarification was needed at certain times. I had to explain to her what a pyramid scheme was and how loan sharks work. Whether or not she understood my explanations, I didn't know, for she would simply just nod her head and stare deeply into the candlelight.

"I see," she said, with one hand stroking her chin. "So you owe these 'mob people' a great debt, then?"

I sighed. "That about sums it up, yeah."

"Have you no source for wealth?" She asked, her lips in a frown. "Manual labor, perhaps? A blacksmith, farmer..."

"None."

"Why?"

I threw my hands up in the air. "Honestly, I have no clue. Luck, maybe. I just keep getting fired for things I didn't even do."

At that, her eyes grew as wide as saucers. "They torched you?"

"What? No, no! I mean, they just... let me go. Missing money, late paperwork, damaged company property... didn't even do anything, but somehow I got the blame for it."

"How unjust."

"You can say that again."

"How unjust."

"No, I meant... you know what, nevermind."

Silence fell between us. Don't know what Ash was thinking about but it's got her staring away at nothing. Meanwhile, I was left to dwell in very unpleasant thoughts of regret.

Having to narrate my stupid naive past self's story didn't really do much good for my morale. I had to resist the growing urge to punch myself over the stupid things I had done.

Like seriously - it was a pyramid scheme! Why on earth did you fall for it, past me?! Anybody can smell it from a mile away! Of course, there's no get-rich-quick tactic that nobody has ever heard about, nobody's ever heard of it because it doesn't even exist.

But no, just had to throw all your money away at empty promises. Yeah, that's how you get rich. Just look where that got you. Oh, here comes that urge again - resist, man, resist. Don't hit yourself in front of the Elf.

"I have decided."

My head spun towards her. "Decided?"

Suddenly Ash stood up. A strange sense of resolve painted her eyes and before I could question it, she marched herself in front of me. My armchair wasn't exactly big, so she towered above me like an eagle in the sky, cranking her intimidation factor up to an eleven.

Then, as if to inverse all that, she got down on one knee, her face hidden in the long locks of her hair and bowed her head towards me.

Awkward, very awkward. Haven't a clue how I'm supposed to react, so I'll just keep quiet for now.

She placed a hand against her chest and spoke, "Just as you have come for my aid, I shall now come for yours. I now swear my allegiance to your cause. Your troubles are now my troubles, your enemies are now my own, and until the day that anguish no longer plagues you... here I shall remain to stay. Hala'thur Gofrin."

Finished, she looked up, her eyes staring at my own with solemnity, leaving me still in a state of pure unbridled confusion.

"Allegiance? Wait, I just got you out of a dumpster, don't you think that's a bit much? 'Hala'thar wadda? What does that mean?"