Chapter 18

Chronicles of Asteria was a long game. Longer than I would have expected, or wanted it to be, especially given the current circumstances I was in.

Even after skimming through the prologue and the character creation menu, there was still another four hours worth of tutorial before I've made any progress into the main story.

In Asteria, you take on the role of a reincarnated hero whose soul has been flung from the past and into the present, in order to stop the rise of a great evil whose corruption has been spreading across the land for decades.

Fairly typical fantasy story fluff right there.

What wasn't fairly typical, however, far from what I was expecting, was the name the game gave to the main protagonist.

Leonardo.

The dream I had last night, which was all but forgotten up to this point, started to surface back to the forefront of my thoughts.

Was this just coincidence? I mean, a lot of fantasy heroes have these kinds of names right? Maybe my brain just so happened to like the name Leonardo and used it.

Perhaps... perhaps.

Then it was next revealed that the great evil that plagued the lands was an all-powerful demon queen called Terestra.

Okay, now I'm getting a bit creeped out.

Leonardo and Terestra... What do these two have anything to do with me? Why did I dream about them? And why in the form of my parents? They look nothing like them in the game.

I came looking for answers and instead I ended up with more questions. How far does this rabbit hole go?

For now questions can wait. Finding information in the game took priority above all else.

So far though, information was spread out thin. All I got so far was that the game took place in a world called Asteria, you're a hero from the past, you've been summoned by the king, and he has given his best knight as a companion to you to assist you throughout your journey.

The moment I heard that, I thought it was Ash. It wasn't... but the best archer throughout all the lands wasn't a bad deal either. He was a pretty charming party member, at least.

Fast forward a couple of trivial quests later, I finally got my first taste of action. A village was under attack by a servant of Terestra, and it was up to me and the archer guy to stop them.

Slimes, goblins, before the quest, was all I have been killing up to that point.

Not this time.

The journey to the raided village was brimming with all sorts of monstrosities. All twisted, malformed creatures of flesh and blood, making shrieks and curls ripped straight out of a horror game. The general ambiance of the game also took a turn for the worst as soon as night fell over.

Fighting these wicked creatures in the darkness made for some heart-pounding moments, let me tell you that. I couldn't count how many times I've nearly died.

Once we got to the village, I finally understood what all those reviews for the game meant when they said it gets dark.

Asteria does not hold back when it comes to violence and gore.

Puddles of blood spilling over severed human limbs, detached heads skewered onto spikes. Nightmarish creatures feasting on survivors screaming for dear life.

"What the hell?" I heard myself say.

Archer guy suggested to find the servant as fast as we can and put a stop to the massacre. I readily agreed, charging past burnt houses and growling monsters in the dozen. Moving and moving, until suddenly, a cutscene started playing.