Chapter 38

One step forward, two steps back.

Never has the phrase resonated with me as much as it did back then. The despair we felt was clear on our faces. The plan was flawed, barely even a plan to begin with, yet it was the only one we have.

Having pulled it off once before was nothing short of an absolute miracle.

Now you're telling me we have to accomplish the same near-impossible task all over again immediately right after the first?

I think Irene put it best when her droopy eyes turned and caught sight of the frenzied Adalia, stronger than ever before.

"Fuck."

My sentiments exactly.

Adalia underwent a radical change in demeanor after her little feed. She was a figure standing tall, whereas before she would move about with a distinct slouch. Then there was that strange sense of cognizance present in the way her misty eyes drifted across the room, a type of heightened focus that was absent before.

Something must have happened.

"The more she feeds the stronger she becomes?" I asked.

"There's a reason no one wants to deal with a Matriarch," Irene let out a weary breath. "Still on board with the idea?"

"Like we have a choice..."

Ria, Amelia, and Ash. The three of them stood in opposition to Adalia. Two out of three looking absolutely for wear. Ash especially, sustaining more marks and scratches than I could count. The jacket and pants I gave her were practically bloodied rags and tatters at this point.

Ash had been through a lot. And unlike Ria or even Amelia, every injury was permanent, every wound still bled.

I don't know how much longer she'll be able to keep going. I'm not keen on finding out either...

This seriously has to end.

"Again!" My shout was loud, heavy, but it wasn't strong. "One more time!"

Amelia led the charge, followed by Ria soaring from right above, Ash trailed along, a dazzling glow manifesting another sword in her hand. Every one of them, prime and ready - a concentrated smoldering orb in the air, a lunge forward with claws extended, a sword arching sideways.

And Amelia blitz through them all, effortlessly. None of the attacks came close to even touching her, negated, as she weaved, dodged with not a single movement wasted.

Focus had replaced frenzy.

Before any of them could recover, Adalia had already gone on the offensive.

A pounced to the side and Ash was sent soaring to the other side of the room, then springing off of her, with a fleeting swipe, Ria was sent staggering away in another direction with a painful screech. Downwards, with a graceful landing, she bolted for Amelia, a hand raised, reaching - then missing.

Adalia struck again with an irritated growl, and swiped only air. Three times, four times, missing all times. Amazingly, Amelia was keeping up, not only that, she was able to match Adalia's aggressiveness with strikes of her own.

My eyes weren't able to match their pace. From one end of the room to the next, soaring through the air, springing across walls... this was a whole other level.

A true fight between Matriarchs.

Amelia kept her sister at bay long enough for Ash and Ria to recoup. Once more they entered a fray, but even they had trouble emulating the speed and ferocity the sisters lashed out at each other.