Chapter 5

Somehow, someway... this is strangely pleasing to the eye. I tried, probably failed, hiding my amazement on my face with a blank expression. But you can't really keep a straight face at this.

"So?" I asked, placing a hand on my jaw to stop it from dropping. "How does it feel?"

Ash walked out the doorway to my room with a very peculiar expression on her face. It was hard to tell what she was thinking, especially with that small frown.

"Drafty... mostly." She said, swinging her arms around. "Perhaps a bit loose too... exposed, comfortable, It feels as if it does not suit me."

I wouldn't be saying that from where I was standing. In fact, it's quite the opposite, it suited her too well, actually.

I just smiled at her. "You'll get used to it."

If we were going out in public, obviously I needed her not to look like she's heading out to a convention of some kind. So after breakfast, I fished out some clothes from my closet. My clothes. Not really nice clothes, per se, but clothes nonetheless.

At least, that's what I thought at first.

Those jeans that made me look like a fool, fitted her slender legs like a glove. And that jacket, which according to my sister, gave her homeless beggar vibes? Yeah, Ash practically made it her own, and she radiated with a certain style I could only dream of.

Especially with her long white hair flowing down to her waist side. Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if she gets picked up by some talent scout somewhere. There was just one problem, though.

"You know your ears?"

She looked at me and lowered her arms. "I know of them."

"Yeah..." I shook my head. "Elves, umm... we don't have elves around here, so... you're going to be attracting a bit of attention if we leave them out in the open like that."

Her ears began to droop a little. "Oh," then she frowned. "What do you propose we do?"

"Easy fix, no worries..." I walked up to her and pulled the hood that came with the jacket over her head. "There we go, now you're looking human. Ash of Humankind, roommate to me, and devourer of cereal brands everywhere."

"Master, are you perhaps mocking me?"

My hands rose up in surrender. "I'd never dream of it."

Ash drew her eyes upwards, clearly fascinated by the hoodie, her eyebrows raising under the fringes of her hair.

"I have seen our scholars and monks on occasion, and they have donned something akin to this one." She said, her fingers pinching the end of the hood. "Were you possibly once a scholar yourself?"

"Err, no. Wouldn't call myself that. I mean, I wasn't exactly the brightest in school either."

"Brightest, you say... humans can shine?"

"Metaphorically speaking, uh, sure I guess?"

"Hmm..."

Hmm indeed. I was beginning to confuse her, I knew it, It's a clear sign now. Whenever she would furrow her eyebrows or make a small frown, or if her ears started twitching up and down, it's a sure indication there's something she isn't getting.

But we'll work on her metaphors later. For now, the afternoon sun blazed high in the sky and we have somewhere we needed to be.

So with a clap of my hands and the opening of the front door, we set off to the outside world.

It was clear from the moment we hit the sidewalk that Ash would immediately start gazing away at this new and bizarre world she somehow found herself in.