Chapter 34

"You actually tried to make a deal?"

That was Irene's only comment after I've summarized everything that had transpired so far. She listened, never verging close to another interruption until I had finally reached the end.

The Matriarch's little snooze persisted on. The tranquility beset on her slumbering expression was polarizing, to say the least. Right then, setting aside the blood and the fangs, she looked like any other girl you'll see walking by you in the streets. Normal, harmless... if only that was actually the case.

Finger and thumb cupped underneath Amelia's chin, with all the cautiousness of a bonafide detective, Irene gently swung her head to and fro, her gaze meticulously surveying whatever it was she was trying to survey.

Another polarizing sight by the standards of reality. A Succubus intensely scouring the body of an unconscious vampire. Didn't help that she was absolutely reeking with the smell of perversion, making for quite an emotional dissonance when it came to taking things seriously.

I gotta get new standards.

"That desperate already?" Irene asked, turning towards me.

I shrugged my shoulders. "What other options did I have? Not like I can go busting through a wall, stand in a pose, and save the day. What else did you expect me to - "

"Not you. I'm talking about her," She nudged over at Amelia. "Did she look desperate?"

Okay, now I feel a little stupid. I let out a sigh. "Well, she pretty much said so herself."

Irene made a face. "I see."

It was a very telling face. Same face I saw when she was coming up with the whole vampire bait idea.

"Wait a minute," Ria said, her head cocked at an angle. It seems like I wasn't the only one who recognized that face of hers. "You don't actually think the vampire is on to something, do you?"

Her silence was also very telling. That deep contemplative far-away gaze into nothingness. Didn't even flinch when a growl emerged from somewhere out of sight within the dark depths of the building.

Adalia was still creeping about somewhere out there.

After a while, Irene finally broke out of her focused stupor, and what came out her mouth next wasn't exactly a surprise for anybody. "Take the deal."

Ria too acted well within expectations. "You're as suicidal as he is. It's like you're made for each other."

"Didn't you just chew me out about being reckless?" I asked. "Had a change of heart?"

"Spare me the lecture," Irene said, mildly irritated. "Let me give you the short version."

So, short version - Irene thought we could use this opportunity to our advantage. Adalia was a threat that couldn't be dealt with conventionally. We could blind, harm, obstruct her in any way we can but ultimately when it came down to subduing or even killing her, none of us would be able to do a damn thing. Why?

Well according to Irene, "A frenzied vampire can only be temporarily subdued by another vampire's bite."

It was probably what Amelia was trying to accomplish in that little skirmish they had that nearly collapsed the entire building and what she was planning to do again as well when trying to broker a deal between us.

"Except her plan won't work," Irene said, pointing down to Amelia's neck, where two puncture marks laid bare, the only wound that did not disappear along with the rest. "Her sister bit her instead. Took her way, way down in terms of ability. If she somehow does get a bite in on the frenzied, I doubt it'll even last for long."