Chapter 43

Somewhere in the not-so-distant outskirts of town, sometime within the twilight hours of daylight's break, an inconspicuous whirring black sedan had just pulled over in the driveway of a two-story house that stood uninhabited for what seemed like ages.

"This is the place?" Irene asked.

I looked again at the hasty scribblings on the slip of paper I was given. It was very non-descript if anything... it was just an address with little tidbits like 'left here', or 'straight there'.

Well, we did went left here, and straight there too... plus there weren't really any other houses in sight, so...

"This is the place," I answered.

The view seen from the dashboard window wasn't able to fully capture the scope and size of the place. The view outside the dashboard, however, was just... really something else.

The house wasn't exactly the magnum opus of a world-renowned architect-guy, nevertheless, presentation-wise, it was still far better looking than most I've seen in my lifetime... lifetimes.

Granted, I lived in the countryside for most my life but that's beside the point, point being, I liked what I saw. The stupid grin aching my cheeks was there to show for it.

While I stood there by the car still marveling over the wondrous wonders of modern architecture, Ria and Irene were already making their way along the smooth-cobbled pathway towards the front door.

"Open sesame, please!" Ria called out.

Her face, her voice... they really do seem not to harbor any animosity towards me, which was unsettling in itself, her indifference towards me... I really do not know what to make of it.

"On my way," I muttered, forcing a smile of my own, the thought pushed to the back of my mind.

A quick fiddling with the lock later, and the door swung open to a darkened interior. Then just right before you could start asking yourself about where the hell the light switch was, God came in swooping and declared with a flicker, "Let there be light,"

And then there was light.

"Automatic," whistled Ria, giving a mischievous side-glance my way. "Those mob guys spared no expense with you, did they?"

"I don't trust them," Irene said, taking the first steps in, her tone brimming with disapproval. "You shouldn't either."

Don't know why Irene was telling me that. 'Trust' along with 'Mob' are words that are galaxies apart from one another.

"Irene, darling, you're a detective, distrust is like your main motto," Ria scoffed, taking the second steps into the deserted hall. "Everybody lies, right?"

Everybody lies... as I've come to realize more and more through recent events was a statement that couldn't have rung more true... surprisingly, with parents being the worst offenders.

What a bitter pill to swallow.

"Coming in?" Ria had herself spun to me, her smile warm, her expression inviting.

Was that a lie, too?

"Yeah, coming..." I smiled. I lied.

---------

Two bedrooms. One guestroom. Two toilets. One kitchen. A big-ass living room. Closets for days. Two balconies upstairs. And to top it all off, every room was already furnished to the brim.

We got electrical appliances by the dozens, an A/C unit no matter where you go, even got a chandelier hung high above the TV space.

Naturally, the first thing that crossed my mind was, "Oh my holy God, the bills. I'm dead." but that concern was immediately abated once I came across the sticky note plastered onto the door of the smart fridge.