Chapter 20

Slowly but surely, the sun began to sink beyond the distance. The rays of afternoon light gradually becoming the rays of dusk, casting the skies into an orange tint.

What was it, like - 5pm right now? Vampire hunting sounded like a colossal task you had to prepare for. I mean, our lives hung in the balance here.

We should have been preparing, discussing tactics and whatnot. Making contingencies within our contingencies. We should have been... and yet we aren't. Why?

Because the succubus got hungry.

Fast forward to present time, there I was in the passenger seat of her car again, while she ordered up some burgers at the take-away driveway.

"16.50, please," said the cashier by the drive-through window.

"Oh, gimme a sec," Irene said.

Bored out of my mind I was, I failed to notice Irene's hand stretching out at me, not until I heard her fake a cough to attract my attention. Once I did though, I was quite taken aback.

"I'm paying?"

For an answer, she stretched her hand out even more, her eyes growing sterner with each second her palm was left cashless and empty.

"Fine..."

Before I could even have time to offer her the 20 I fished out from my wallet, she already had plucked it from my fingers faster than you can say 'your welcome'.

As thanks she flashed a not-so-sweet-sweet smile at me, briefly though, her priorities right then were to pay the cashier and get the food, to which she did both at a record pace.

Pulled over by the parking lot, it didn't take long for her to start wolfing them down like some kind of animal. Big bites, little chews and a lick of her lips.

Begs the question though...

"Where's mine?"

Irene paused mid-way through licking ketchup from her fingertips to turn over at me, a look of bewilderment on her face.

"You didn't ask," she said.

"My money."

"My car," she retorted, delving a hand into the paper bag. "You're welcome to the fries, though."

Guess I can settle for that.

For a moment, there was this sense of normalcy as she handed me the carton of fries, only for a moment though, before the utter bizarreness of the situation - eating food with a succubus when we should have been preparing for a vampire attack - had me snapping back to the task at hand.

"What are we doing here?" I asked.

Irene took a big mouthful. "Eating," she said through bulged cheeks.

"Wow, you must be a detective or something."

Irene rolled her eyes and nudged her head at the windshield. "Look there, don't say anything and keep a close eye at it."

"Wha - "

"Do it," she urged while chomping down another mouthful.

So there I sat, eating some fries in silence, watching people and cars go about their day from the passenger seat. It was obvious we were staking something out, but whatever it was, Irene wasn't telling. Not like she could either, every time I turned to look at her, her cheeks were always bulging with either fries or a burger, maybe even a mixture of both.

I complied for about thirty minutes, before that sinking feeling of guilt started acting up again. Clearly it'll never go away until I choose to confront it, so I did, turning my eyes to a recently stuffed and drowsy Irene with her arms wrapped around her knees.