02- First Day Out

chapter revamped

chapter revamped.

CHAPTER TWO

"First day out huh?" Reina chuckled at her sister while trying to make conversation. Curioss stared out the window watching the cars pass by.

"Yeen gon' talk?" She had a frown on her face as she took a quick glance at her then shifted her attention back on the road.

Curioss shrugged, "There ain't much to say."

Breaking the silence she finally spoke her mind. "You were defending yourself, goddamnit," - "Fuck," Reina hissed at her outburst. That wasn't the way she wanted to comfort her sister.

"You think them folks give a fuck if I was defending myself Reina?" Curioss rolled her eyes. For four years she'd heard that same line from everyone, so hearing it again was nothing new.

When she responded with silence, she nodded her head, "Exactly, once I took that man's life I was a criminal to them! They didn't give a damn about the reason why."

"I'm sorry," She sighed. Reina knew the pain her sister had suffered over the years, but she also wanted her to know that whatever happened happened. In her eyes, Curioss did what she had to do.

Curioss looked at her bigger sister for a brief second then leaned back, staring outside once again.

What was four years felt like forever, she hadn't realized how green the trees were, everything seemed foreign to her eyes.

Soon after the car came to a complete stop and was parked right infront of a three story house which was painted in a soft blue and that was the only thing that didn't seem stranged to her, after all, it was the house she grew up in.

"Tante!" Her eight year old niece ran up to her and embraced her once Curioss stepped foot inside.

Her heart warmed at the sight. She stooped down to her level, playing with a strand of her hair.

"Hi my love, you've gotten big," She grinned then looked around. "Where's ya uncle?"

Remni rolled her eyes. "He's ova dere," She had a small frown on her face as she stared at her aunt.

"But I missed you Tante, why'd you leave me?" Curioss smiled at her niece, still playing in her hair, "Tante had to handle something baby, but I'm back now and I ain't going nowhere."

"Ra'jah Eliseo Rogers, don't be running in my damn house!" A voice she knew all too well yelled out causing her to avert her gaze.