The ball bounced off the rim and rolled towards Anicia and she stopped it with her Champion slide. The laughter ceased abruptly when Anicia approached with the basketball in her hand. Once she reached earshot she overheard Lotus ask, "What is she doing here?"

               "Is that—"

               "Her mother?" Anicia cut off the other young woman, shooting the basketball and it fell effortlessly into the hoop. "Yeah, that's me."

               Lotus stared at her as Troy grabbed the ball and asked, "You played ball?"

               Anicia looked at Troy. "All through high school. Varsity. I had Division One schools looking at me but I had to let it go. My mother felt it was too 'manly' for a woman to do."

               "Couldn't run down a court pregnant anyway." Lotus remarked smartly.

               It fell into an awkward silence, as the twin's looked at each other.

               "I came to talk to you," Anicia mentioned. "But I know you won't willingly so let's make it fun, yeah. If I make three shots in a row, no missing. I make it, we sit down at those tables and talk. You in?"

               Lotus hesitated, staring to the young woman beside her, who beckoned for her to consider it. She exhaled sharply, "Three shots. No missing, no do overs."

               Anicia smiled with a nod, gesturing for Troy to toss her the ball. She caught it with her hand, walking to the three-point line. She shot the ball and successfully made it.

               Tyson caught the basketball releasing from the hoop. "Luck."

               "Possibly." Anicia retrieved the basketball and shot it—again, making it into the hoop.

               "Uh, no, three point is too easy." Lotus spoke up, "Scoot back. Further."

               Anicia get on the middle line, between each three-point lines and Lotus nodded. Troy tossed her the ball and it bounced into her hands. She bounced the ball in front of her, eying the target hoop that was a distance away. She flexed her knees slightly, keeping her shoulders back, as she straightened her knees, jumping upward. She rolled the ball off her fingertips toward the basket and her arm arched elegantly, wrist cocked downward.

               They all watched the ball spin around the rim of the hoop in anticipation. It finally titled correctly and fell into the hoop, bouncing on the court. Troy grabbed it as he and his twin was impressed. "Damn, you really are good."

               "Division One school's don't send scouts out for the ones who aren't." Anicia winked, smiling toward Lotus. "So, can we talk?"

               "Deal is a deal."

               Lotus walked over towards the rectangular thermoplastic picnic tables under the sunblocks. She sat on top of the table and faced Anicia.

               "I bought a house today."

               Lotus furrowed her brows instantly. "Congratulations?"

               "It's three bedroom—"

               "Why are you telling me this again?" Lotus wondered, "I don't care about you buying a house that's three bedrooms."

               "One of those bedrooms, it's yours." Anicia revealed, "You can draw and decorate it however you want. You don't have to come but I just want you to know it's there. You know, if you just want to get off campus one day or just away, you have a room there."

               Lotus nodded awkwardly. "Uhm... thank you."

               "Of course." Anicia stared at Lotus for a long moment taking in her features. "I didn't really want anything major. I just. . . wanted to see you. I'll let you get back."

               Lotus sat in the same spot, watching Anicia start to turn around when she said, "I'm trying. . ." her birth mother faced her, "I really am trying to accept this thought of a mother really being in my life now—at least trying to. I'ma pusher. I push people away that I do want to love but the anger I have towards you isn't allowing me to accept you. Pop helped me recognize that."

               Anicia smiled inwardly at Lotus calling her birthfather 'Pop' as the nineteen year old continued to say, "I'll come around. I will. I just need some time; let me let go of the anger. Just... don't give up on me in the process."

               Anicia exhaled deeply as she smiled softly. "I'll never do that again to you. I'll wait."

               Lotus's expression softened, nodding lightly as Anicia walked away to her vehicle. The nineteen-year-old found herself smiling small.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀