Chapter 16 Moving Forward

"Jenna please say something

"Jenna please say something." Havana softly pleaded.

Jenna sat on the couch and stared at the fireplace with tears silently rolling down. She didn't say anything but continued staring blankly at the flames. Havana sat beside her, trying to search for any emotion in Jenna's eyes. She wanted her aunt to at least yell at her or do something that will indicate that Jenna was at least feeling something. But no, Jenna was too engulfed with shock at what happened in the last hour. After the encounter with Klaus in their home, they were forced to flee to the safety of the Salvatore household where Stefan later followed.'

"Please, Jenna. I'm so so sorry this has happened. I never meant for any of this to happen" Havana continued begging.

As if on cue, Elena came running into the room with the same worry on her face as Havana. "Jenna! Thank God." She went closer to her aunt for a hug.

Jenna held her hands up stopping her niece and spoke for the first time in an hour. "No," She sharply said.

Elena said the same apology Havana had just uttered a few moments ago but Aunt Jenna caught her off.

"When I was little, your mom-" she glanced at Elena "-and your dad-" then to Havana "-used to tell me bedtime stories about vampires. I never thought about what they said to be true."  Her red puffy eyes spoke volumes about how she felt at this moment.

"We're sorry for not telling you Jenna." Elena sat down next to Jenna.

Havanna nodded, "We thought that we were keeping you safe. But then things just went out of control and everything we've done to keep you out of it just blew up in our faces."

"Does Jeremy know?" The two cousins looked at each other with their mouths slightly parted not knowing what to say. Their silence confirmed Jenna's suspicion thus making her pink the bridge of her nose. "And John?"

"Yes," They quietly answered.

"We just trying to prote-"

"-No, Havana. It's me who should be protecting you, and you-" She looked at Elena -"and Jeremy. It's my responsibility and I-I-I don't know what to do. God! I'm scared!" The two cousins moved closer to their crying aunt and gave her a hug.

"We're scared too, Aunt Jenna. But I promise that nothing will happen to you or us." Havana tried to soothe her.

"Don't promise things you can't keep Havana," Jenna whispered clutching her eyes tighter. Elena grabbed a hold of Havana's hand in support while Jenna continued to cry on the shoulders of her nieces. 

Havana sighed knowing that she was right. A disturbing feeling from her gut told her that someone was bound to die at the hands of Klaus soon. It was no doubt that Elena was the first on his list. Death was looming, and the question everybody wants to know the answer to is who else death will take. Havana didn't have a definite answer to that, but she was prepared to die in order to protect her family.