Chapter 27 Ouch

Havana slowly fluttered her eyes open. She was no longer in the middle of the woods on the ground bleeding to death. No, she was in another hotel room which meant that they changed locations again. She stared at the watch on the bedside table. It didn't matter if one of them was injured or if they had only slept less than three hours, Klaus never let Havana nor Stefan oversleep during the duration of this trip. It was odd but Havana was not complaining.

"Good morning." Havana moved her head to the door where a fully dressed Klaus was leaning on. She looked down and saw that her attire from last night had changed too but she did not care liking the comfortably of the silk pajama. "Today we'll be taking a day off from our usual activities until you recover."

Havana felt a minor headache and reached on top of her head only to feel it wrapped in a bandage.

"It's time to change it. Here, let me-" He sat on the bed slowly unwrapping it. She hadn't noticed a first aid kid that was also on the bedside table. Klaus began tending to her wounds.

"How bad is it?" Havana winced.

"You took a blow to your head when you landed on that rock. But it's nothing serious. The doctor just prescribed you pills and bed rest."

A doctor? When was this? Havana thought to herself. She must've been asleep when a doctor checked up on her. Her thoughts wandered to yesterday when she almost died...again. From the hellish hike full of mountain snakes and steep hills to watching the zombie-like werewolves going insane and her best friend mauling anyone who comes close. It was all because of him. It was a surprise to her that Klaus hadn't used his blood to heal her like the other times in this summer road trip from hell. Though yesterday was a failed attempt, he was certainly close. It was odd of him to take a day off like this.

"Well, this certainly doesn't seem like you."

"How so?"

"Cause you always like choosing an option that would best benefit you and only you." She retorted. "C'mon, what are you up to now? I know you're super aggressive towards achieving this goal of yours. You could ve just healed me, forced me to wake up in the crack of dawn, and do your errands like these past few months."

Klaus's lips were tightly shut keeping quiet. He wanted to yell but even he was tired of the constant fighting every day. He was accepting the fact that Havana resenting him would never change.

Calmly, he said "Though I do have a reputation of being the heartless monster you think I am, I am an honest person. I have kept all my promises to you including keeping you safe and acting in your best interest ."

"My best interest? You know I could've died last night right?"

"You already hate me, Havanna. If I fed you my blood and you died, I know that you'll never forgive me as well."

Havana winced but stayed still. It's true. She would've never forgiven him if he had turned her into a vampire, and she knew that he knew that. However, in moments like this that showed he cared, she would purposely throw these twisting words to provoke a fight. She needed a reminder that the Klaus she fell in love with never existed. She needed a distraction from all those memories and unresolved feelings.

Her plan worked again this time her insults didn't lead into fights that would make them ignore each other for the day. Instead, Havana felt guilty,  he was just trying to help. Klaus packed the first aid with a defeated look on his face and stood up to the room.

"Wait!" She calls just as he was about to exit.

Klaus looks up at her expecting another reminder that she hated him.

"I-" She fumbles not knowing exactly what to say. "Thank you."

He silently nods before shutting the door.