Chapter 42 You Are My Home

Everything reminded Klaus of her

Everything reminded Klaus of her. Even in this house in the middle of nowhere, he still felt her presence as loud as ever. Every day he woke up staring blankly at the sun that would usually shine on Havana's face in the mornings. He would watch her sleep quietly observing every detail on her beautiful face and the soft rise and fall of her chest. A hint of a smile would grace Havana's sweet face in her sleep. Klaus leaned in slowly and started gently kissing her face from the bottom of her eyes to her cheeks then to her jaw and then to her chin before making his way up to her pink lips. She would then wake with a giggle and whisper a good morning before kissing his face in return. He would walk around the lot imagining Havana's face of excitement when he would tell her they could live here once they married. He could see her lying by the grass, picking fruit, running around the fields, and picking the flowers. She was all around. Even in the wind, he can hear her laughter.

As a thousand-year-old Original, he had his fair share of love stories but all of those other women could never hold a candle to his love for Havana Sommers. The vicious and cold Klaus Mikaelson had never shed a tear for anyone despite having his heart broken a few times. There was one person in his entire existence who had that much power over him and now she was gone. Havana opened a brand new side of them that only existed when he was around her. He was more gentle, more thoughtful, more affectionate, more loving, He was not loving Klaus. He was her Nik.

Despite reminiscing and cherishing such sweet thoughts, Klaus felt like his humanity was shut off. He was already a violent man but it intensified tenfold with his heartbreak. He did not think twice about shedding his enemies and insubordinate soldiers into pieces and instilled more fear in everyone else. In a way, it was a positive thing for him since he was indeed building a hybrid army. A stronger reputation would strengthen his claim as King. However a particular question burned at the back of his mind, "What's a king without his queen?"

The only times when he felt truly at peace was in the field of flowers situated near his centuries-old home. For his first few visits there, he sat on the grass and watched the sunset go down before walking back toward his numb reality. It was as simple as that. He still thought of her, however, what made that spot so special was that for once a day, he did not allow himself to drown in his thoughts. He only thought about their happy moments and not how he ended up here all alone without her. Now, he brings his canvases and paint materials. He loved to paint and would often use it to calm him down and bring things into perspective. In all honestly, he couldn't remember the last time he did it so he started painting again. He had painted the house, the sky, and other sceneries surrounding him on that flower field. However, the subjects of those paintings were of a woman with dark brown hair and deep dimples. It was a no-brainer that his portraits of Havana became his favorite collection. Klaus vowed to remain faithful to painting his muse even if centuries would pass later on and Havana was no more on this Earth.

This alone time of Klaus's prompted him to create a strict rule that nobody is to disturb him in his only time of peace. The only exception to this rule was that if there was an emergency that required his presence. Many intentionally and unintentionally broke this rule and suffered the consequences by undergoing such unfortunate fates. Which was why the sound of footsteps approaching him made his grip on the paintbrush tighter. He was prepared to break it in half and use it as a stake to stab the unwanted intruder repeatedly until they died.