Chapter 9

Hal's POV

"Hi, you have reached Anna Bauer, if I'm not answering, it probably means I can't find my phone or it is dead so text me if it is important. Love ya!" The answering machine beeped.

I clicked the hang up button and flopped on the couch. Anna hadn't been back in four hours. I was really starting to worry about her. A few phone calls had come in from the city, a few from the state, and one even came in with the caller ID "Obamalama", I didn't answer that one.

I turned on the TV and flopped on the couch.

"Word of Elsa Bauer, the mayor's daughter, had been reported missing. New York's legislature had been frantically trying to find a her. They are offering a large reward to anyone who can find her. She is needed in the city to take care of her parents' will. Please contact the number on the screen if you know of her whereabouts." The newscaster's voice echoed through the speakers.

Very large reward? If Anna hadn't found her yet, it meant there was still a chance for me, and I needed to pay off college loans. I had to stop her from finding Elsa. I needed that money so bad. I had cheated so many people and had a lot of debts to repay.

I thought getting close to Anna would bring me enough wealth and fame, now it was more important than ever to find her.

***

Anna's POV

"Elsa?"

"Anna, you need to go home."

"Why won't you come back?"

"My place isn't there. It's here."

"Here? In the forest?"

"I can't hurt anyone here, Anna. I am happy here. Just leave. You will be safe."

"No, I'm not leaving without you."

"Anna! Just go!" She threw a rock that was in her hand.

It hit me hard in the chest. I stumbled back and Chris caught me.

Her eyes grew wide. "Anna, I'm sorry but you have to leave. You see how dangerous I am."

"Anna, just listen to her. Lets go." Chris whispered.

He helped me back to the main road.

How could she do this? I had never seen her this angry. There must've been something really wrong.

I started walking on my own, but then I stopped.

There was a shooting pain in my chest from where the rock had hit me.

"Are you ok?" Chris asked.

"My-my chest. It really hurts. I can't walk."

"I know who to call." He got out his phone and dialed a number.

I sat down on a nearby rock and saw that Olaf had come back.

I gently petted his head and smiled.

"They're almost here." Chris sat down next to me.

"Who?"

"My.... friends." He smiled weakly.

I really hope his friends weren't some hippies or something.

We sat on the rock in silence, just watching Olaf hop around on the dry grass while Sven played with a pinecone.

Why wouldn't Elsa come with me? She had never acted like this before. Was it something I did? Is this just the way she is coping with our parents' death? It didn't make sense.

All of the sudden, a colorful van with pink flowers and green peace signs printed on the side pulled up and rolled down the window.

A long haired man with round glasses and a tie dye scarf sat in the driver's seat.

Yup, they were hippies.