Chapter 6

Anna's POV

I stumbled on the chair and stubbed my toe.

I looked up and the cool evening air crept in through the door.

Elsa was gone.

I ran over to the door.

She was running down the street barefoot, knocking over trashcans and stomping flowers as she went.

"Elsa!" I called.

She had already turned a corner.

I ran over to my car and frantically started it.

I pulled out and turned down the street.

I couldn't find her. I searched for another half an hour and still no sign of her anywhere.

I went back home and cried on the couch. I was alone and didn't know who to turn to.

Then, I looked at my hand and saw smudged black numbers scrawled across my palm.

I quickly got my cellphone and dialed the number.

"Hello." A deep voice answered.

"Hey, Hal, it's Anna."

"Oh my gosh, Anna, hi. What's up?"

I couldn't help it. I broke out into tears over the phone.

"M-my sister ran a-away and I can't find her." I sniffled over the phone.

"I'll be right over."

He was here in less than five minutes.

He pulled me into an embrace when he walked in the door.

I cried into his shoulder.

"Explain it to me."

I told him everything.

"I'll help you find her." He said.

"Thank you."

Then I remembered. "Oh shoot! The Hospital Fund! She is supposed to speak at the children's hospital tomorrow! We have to find her!" I got up and grabbed my purse.

"Will you stay and hold down the fort for me? You know, if anyone calls or rings the doorbell, just explain this dire situation."

"Yeah of course." He said kindly.

He was so cute.

"Thank you!" I rushed out the door. There wasn't a moment to lose.

I drove down the busy streets of New York. I tried to think of places where she might be. I already checked the warehouse where we used to play and the school. Still nothing.

I was just driving around now, driving around mindlessly.

I realized I had to turn back. I didn't recognize these roads.

I started to do a U turn when I heard a large popping noise from under the car.

The car stopped.

I groaned and got out to see what the problem was.

My wheel had a small slash mark in it from a piece of broken glass.

I tried to call Hal but I had no service. It was starting to get dark too. Great.

My only choice was to walk back to the city.

I started making my way back. After about five minutes if walking, I got cold in the chilly spring weather.

I noticed a shack nearby that said "Hunter's Supply Shop". It was old and the H on Hunter was hanging by a single nail. It was the best I could get.

I walked up the creaky steps and into the small shop.

On the frail shelves laid gardening supplies, boots, gloves, hats, energy bars, and everything in between.

Behind the counter, was a large burly man with a large orange mustache.

"Hello. Big summer clearance. Everything must go!" He said excitedly.

I smiled and grabbed a jacket off of one of the dusty shelves.

Then, a man with a black hoody walked in. His head was down as he poked around the small aisles.

I walked up to the counter and gave him the jacket.

"Ten dollars and forty two cents." He stuck out his chubby fingers.

I put the money in his hand and turned my attention to the man.

He was standing in line behind me. In his hand, he held dog treats, a car jack, and a pair of gloves.

I started to walk out of the store when I heard a familiar voice.

"What do you mean this wasn't on clearance?!" He said angrily.

"This was in the winter department, not the summer department." The man at the front desk said kindly.

The man grunted and threw his money on the table. A strip of blond hair fell out of the hoodie.

"Chris?" I asked.

He looked up and pushed his good away.

"Oh hey, Anna. I didn't see you there." He smiled.

"I see you have a car jack." I said. Hopefully he had a tire to spare. Elsa had used my last one when we drove to the funeral and she hit a large rock.

"Oh yeah. Just popped a tire." He replied.

"So did I. I was wondering if you had a tire to spare?" I crossed my fingers. I hoped he happened to have two.

"No, I'm really sorry. But if you want me to give you a ride I can." He smiled.

"Really?! That would be great!"

He changed the tire on his car and we drove back into the city.

"So where do you need to go?" He asked.

I put my head down.

"Elsa ran away. I was actually out looking for her."

"Oh my gosh. I'm sorry. I'll help you find her."

"No, I don't want to waste your time. You can just bring me home I guess."

"No, I insist. I need an adventure every once in a while."

I smiled weakly at him. He smiled back.

"Sven, want a treat?" He called into the back seat to his Great Dane, Sven.

Sven bounded over the backseat and snatched the bone out of Chris's hand.

I giggled.

"So, where are we headed?" Chris asked.

I told him all of the places I had already checked.

We were driving on isolated roads, nobody was on the street. I don't think Elsa had come out this far, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

There was nothing but roughage out here. Trash, crumbling houses, dead animals, it was miserable.

I shivered at the sight.

There was a large log in he middle of the road up ahead. Chris got out to move it and I stayed in the car.

I bit at my fingernails, something wasn't right.

Then, I heard a growl from the back of the car and a loud smash.