Chapter 17

I knocked on Chris's door a few times and finally, he answered.

"Hey, Anna, how are you feeling?" He greeted me with a warm smile.

"Better than a dog in a squirrel park." I smiled back. "Come here, I have to show you something." I grabbed his hand and pulled him outside.

His mouth dropped open.

"Do you like it?" I bit my lip.

"Like it? It's amazing!"

He ran his fingers over the cool black metal. I had bought him a new SUV for the one I crashed. It was the newest model complete with seat warmers and built in GPS.

"Anna, you must've spent a fortune."

"You saved my life, it was the least I could do."

I stood next to him.

"If you want a different color or a different model the dealership said that-"

He pulled me close to him and pressed his warm lips against mine. I wrapped my arms around his neck. The moment his lips touched mine, it was something I have never felt before. I never felt this when I kissed Hal. It was so passionate, so perfect, so real. Chris really cared about me.

We pulled away slowly.

"I've been wanting to do that since I met you." He said.

I blushed. "I'm glad you did."

Sven bounded in between us and started barking. I laughed and knelt down to pet him. His slobbery tongue smeared across my face.

"You kiss better than Chris." I giggled.

Chris laughed and knelt down next to next to me.

I couldn't help the urge to kiss him again. It was the best feeling I have ever felt.

I turned back towards him and kissed him again. I could tell he wanted to kiss me too. I had never had deep feelings for Chris, but now my emotions were so strong towards him.

He pulled away slowly. His face was bright red.

"Um, well I have to call my insurance company." He stuttered.

"Ok." I smiled back at him, stood up, and skipped away.

***

"Chris?"

"Yeah."

"Seriously?"

"Yeah."

"Girl, you could do so much better."

I frowned. "Chris is sweet."

"Yeah but he lacks the hot factor." Janelle popped a fry into her mouth.

I blushed. "I think he is hot."

"I see your nose growing, Pinocchio." Rose said as she tapped the tip of her nose.

My cheeks flushed. "I'm not lying. Chris is a great guy."

"You know, I heard Nick likes you. He is like the fourth hottest guy in grade. I'm sure Chris wouldn't be mad if you guys took a break for prom."

Tears filled my eyes. I couldn't believe it. Maybe Chris didn't quite fit the cookie cutter mold, but he was still the amazing guy who saved my life and cared about me, and I care about him.

"That makes me shiver. That you actually like him. What demon possessed you?"

I couldn't take it anymore. I got up with my tray and walked outside where Chris ate on the leaf strewn grass, slowly strumming his guitar.

I sat down next to him, he smiled. He searched my face and saw that I was unhappy.

"What's the matter?" He asked as he held my hand.

I broke out into tears. He held me tenderly in his arms.

I was so angry. They weren't acting like good friends. All they care about it status. You're not going to be able to please everybody with how high your status is. In the real world, it will judge on character. I learned that the hard way. I had status because I was the mayor's daughter and that almost got me killed.

Chris rubbed my back.

"Just stay with me." I whispered.

"Why would I leave?"

I smiled, leaned up, and kissed him gently on the lips.

"Anna, can I say something crazy?"

"I love crazy."

"I think I'm in love with you."

"Me too."