He let out a long breath as he crossed his arms over his chest. "She thinkin' she disgust you. Supposedly y'all had som' encounter and you pulled away from ha' like she had shit on ha' hand or somethin'. You need to fix that befo' she com' back from Maryland."

               "Maryland?"

               "It's the Summa' so she visitin' ha' Dads for two weeks." he informed, "I'm notta man that keep secrets from my kids. And since I kno' she is mine, I'm not finna be round ha' and keepin' the fact she my daughter away from her. That's shit you do. Not me. So, I strongly suggest you to figure that out."

               He went to the door and started to leave when Anicia says, "do you really mean that?"

               "Mean what?"

               "That I'm worthless..." her voice broke, "Am I really worthless?"

               Toby tapped the door handle as he sighed and faced Anicia. "No, you not worthless and it was fucked on my part for sayin' that to you. You worth every breath in yo' body."

               She could tell he meant every word and felt a relief in her chest. She nodded as he says, "You gotta stop doin' that shit, too. You a beautiful, talented fuckin' black woman and need to stop yearnin' for the approval of everybody else. You need to kno' yo' worth. And once you do; you gon' be unstoppable baby."

               Her gaze softened as he offered her a small head nod. "Til you fix shit wit Lolo; we don't need to talk, ever."

               The door shut and the corners of her mouth turned up when she heard the nickname for Lotus. She spent the next hour bribing the executive assistant at her father's company for Lotus's personal information with her knowing everything about everyone and Anicia packed her suitcase and took a redeye flight to Maryland and got her a room at the Hilton Garden Inn for her stay.

               The executive assistant let her know about a art show happening at the moment and Anicia got dressed in something more appropriate for the event before heading to the art gallery. She walked into the contemporary and modern gallery that offered European sculptures, and large art. It was bright and welcoming with the white walls and honey hardwood floors.

               A waitress offered her the glass of Champagne on the tray and she accepted it. She raised the glass to her mouth as one painting captured her attention. Pulling the rim of it away from her lips, she swallowed the bubbly and footed over to the large wall mural with a black and white hand on a yellow background, a white silhouette standing at the figure tip ahead of a colorful earth...

 Pulling the rim of it away from her lips, she swallowed the bubbly and footed over to the large wall mural with a black and white hand on a yellow background, a white silhouette standing at the figure tip ahead of a colorful earth