* 13 *

©️JRF2015-R2021

{Rick's POV}

Judy went to sleep easily but Carl is way too chatty. He keeps asking about Rachel. I know he likes her but I don't understand his obsession with me and her. It's getting late now, I can hear the people around us sleeping soundly, or as soundly as you can nowadays. Carl finally drifts off mid-sentence and I let out a sigh of relief. His questions are haunting, even now that he has quieted down. I find myself pacing the room now, thinking about her when I hear the outside door slide open. I glance back at my children before leaving the cell and I make my way to that door. I see Merle slipping outside ahead of me.

I creep up to listen, wondering what he is up to. Then I hear her voice. She is too far away to make out anything she is saying but just the sound is more than enough. My heart begins to flutter at that sweet sound. I do miss her voice, I miss her when she isn't around. Then another feeling rises in my throat. Why is Merle out there with her? Why is he always hanging around her? Why does he always follow her around? I slam my hand against the wall and then lean my forehead against it. Straining to hear what they are saying but it's no use. They look like a couple of old friends chatting away, but I still don't like it. Just like this morning when I watched them interact in the fields, so playful and friendly. Then when he thought it was okay to just join us at the same table for dinner because she was there. I can't stand him, I don't even have an explanation as to why, but I can't stand him. And he is always around!

I let out a low growl, unable to listen to any more of Merle's voice, and head back to my kids and our cell. There are only a few more hours until I have to get up and make my usual morning rounds. I'll never be able to sleep anyway. I quickly slide on my belt and gun before slipping back into the hall.

{End Rick's POV}

I stretch out on those bleachers as Merle slips back inside. I stare up at the sky and my mind drifts to Carol's words earlier. Rick is jealous, at least Carol seems to think that is the case. I feel a smile form on my face. If he is jealous, then that means he likes me as much as I like him, right? I sit up quickly, my heart racing. He likes me too. I don't even realize at first that I am now on my feet and pacing back and forth excitedly. When that realization finally hits I stop, lean over with my hands on my knees, and take a deep breath in. Calm down, Rachel. We don't that for sure. I stand completely straight now, looking out at the small horde of dead freaks pushing in on the fence. No, we don't know for sure but the evidence is piling up and it sure looks to be the case. I breathe those words out, calming myself but keeping that energy. My feet lead me out to the fence and I pick up a spear, one by one taking out those mindless freaks before they breach our barrier.

What feels like a whole day passes but it has only been about an hour. My whole body had long been feeling the extreme tiredness from all this corpse killing. The spear falls out of my hand and I almost hit the ground myself. My eyes are so heavy. I turn around and almost dream-like walk back toward the prison.

I squeeze through the door and am suddenly face to face with the object of my recent burst of energy. Despite the overwhelming tiredness, I feel my body react to being that close to him. "You okay Rachel? Why are you outside this late?" He asks as I yawn and stretch, trying not to show how much I want to wrap my arms around him and inhale his so very masculine scent.

"Couldn't sleep Chief. That problem seems to be resolved now." I smile as I slide past him, our bodies slightly grazing each other as I do. There is that spark again. He turns and stays behind me.

"I'll walk you back to your room," he says as I feel his hand come to rest on the small of my back.

I gasp at his touch, hoping he didn't notice. "I know you are up doing your rounds. I don't want to keep you from that. I'll be okay, we are safe here." Rick nods slightly but doesn't move away.

"I don't mind. And I hope we're safe here." Rick tells me as he walks behind me up the stairs to my cell. "Rachel, uh," Rick starts to say something but stops.

"Speak your mind Chief," I look over my shoulder, "what's up?" He stops walking just short of where my door is. I feel his hand drop away from its spot on my back and I turn around. His fingers are twisted in his hair. He finally looks up at me after a minute.

"What's the deal with Merle?" He asks, eyes soft and full of worry about my answer. I smile at him.

"Merle is so not my type Chief. He is just a friend. He is a pretty laid back, nice guy if you give him a chance and take the time to get to know him." I watch as Rick rolls his head around on his shoulders. I can see the relief wash over him with my words.

"Daryl keeps telling me that too, " Rick sighs.

"Hmm, almost like Daryl knows him or something huh?" I smile up at him, "and Daryl knows him better than anyone. You think that maybe there might be some truth to that?" I tease reaching over and poking him in the stomach. My smile growing wider and infecting him as well. I see a smile appear on his face as he nods.

"Okay, okay. You got me. I'll try not to be so judgmental of Merle."

"Good, " I say spinning around, "cause here is my room and I am really tired now. Good night, Chief."

"Good night, Rachel." I hear his words as I crawl into bed. I look up to see he has followed me inside. He grabs the blanket at my feet before I can and pulls it up. I lay back as he tucks me in but he doesn't leave right away. I stare up at him, trying to stay awake but my eyes are so heavy and soon, way too soon, they close. Rick Grimes, authoritative posture, a smile on his face, and tenderness in his eyes is the last thing I see before I drift off.