* 22 *

©JRF2015-R2022

We all stand around, talking, not sure how long. Suddenly a yawn escapes me and I remember how exhausted I had been before Judith's distraction took over. I hand her to Rick. "Take your daughter back Chief," I smile at him, "I am beat. The Dixon's had me working my ass off today and it is way past time for me to hit the hay."

"You're not going to stay with me?" Rick asks surprised.

"We just made up Chief," I say over my shoulder without turning around, "you haven't earned that privilege yet." I hear Merle and Daryl laughing loudly and I can picture Rick's face as red as a tomato. I grin wide as I continue the trip to my room, smug grin on my face.

I wake up late again this morning. I can hear everyone up and milling about downstairs. My muscles are still so sore from yesterday so I take my time getting dressed. When I make my way to the stairs Rick and Daryl are at the bottom talking. I am about halfway down when I hear Daryl say, "Me and Merle are gonna try to go huntin'. See if we can't scare up some more food and check those snares while we're out there. We got a lot of mouths to feed." I see Judith playing with her new bunny in a circle with other small children. I walk up beside Daryl. "I'll go with," I say with a smile. Rick shakes his head no in protest but Daryl immediately answers with the opposite.

"Get your gear and meet us by the gate." I nod and run back to my room.

"No, no way." Rick calls out. I spin around and cock my head to the side staring at him. It was sort of cute how protective he was but it was also annoying as hell.

"Rick," I start with a hint of annoyance in that small sigh I released, "There is no reason I can't go. I am just as capable to go out there to hunt as Daryl and Merle, maybe more so because, and Daryl correct me if I am wrong but...wasn't I the only one with a catch last time." I laugh as Daryl hisses, "shut up." My smile fades slightly as I look back at Rick, "You know Daryl's gonna watch my back." Daryl smiles looking over at Rick as well. He put a hand on Rick's shoulder.

"Yeah, I'll keep my eye on her. She does have a point...she is in the top three best hunters we got. Me and Merle still got you beat, that last time was beginner's luck or sumthin'." Daryl looks past Rick and a different kind of smile appears on his face, "I know Carol would feel better knowing she's out there to have my back." I see Rick's tension ease a little but he is still trying to stop me.

"Listen up Chief," I get serious now. I walk back down the few stairs I had climbed and stand face to face with him. Sort of, he is a bit taller so I have to look up. "You may be the leader of this group but you are not the boss of me. I am going whether you agree or not." Rick sucks in a deep breath but after a minute throws his hands up. "Fine, just be careful please."

"I told you I always am."

"That last run where Merle had to save your ass proves otherwise." He calls out to me. I pause for a second ready to rip him to shreds for that. He had to bring that up didn't he? I think better of it and continue my walk to my room without saying a word. I gathered my hunting supplies and started toward the door and the yard to meet the brothers. Rick stops me as I am rushing passed his cell. He grabs my wrist and pulls me to him, pressing his lips to mine and whispers, "Come back safe and come back soon." I smile at him before pulling away and heading toward the door again.

~~~~~~

"We're gettin' nowhere," Merle said, "We should split up." Daryl and I look at each other. Merle smirks, "I know you promised Officer Friendly you'd watch out for his girl but she's tough. She can handle herself. Anyway, we got calls we can use and we'll be close enough all we got to do is shout." Daryl looks back at me from his brother and shrugs but concedes.