* 12 *

©JRF2015-R2021

I woke up to my darkened cell. I thought I'd feel that cold loneliness that I had felt when Patchy held me captive but instead I am wrapped in a blanket of warmth. I look up to see Rick lying next to me. The last thing I remember was collapsing into his arms outside the prison. I stare at his face for a while, until he finally blinks his eyes open and smiles at me. "You're awake."

I nod and ask him, "How long have I been sleeping?"

"Only about a day and a half," he sighs with a nervous sounding chuckle, "I was starting to think you weren't going to wake up at all." I feel his arms squeeze around me tighter as he hugs me and then kisses the top of my head. I smile and rest my head on his chest as I reassure him, "I'm back and awake now." Daryl suddenly appears in the doorway clearing his throat.

"I see your girl's awake now. Did you two kiss and make up?" I see Rick's face go a dark shade of red before he turns his head away. Daryl lets out a small laugh as I stare at Rick. He finally clears his throat and sits up. "How's Merle getting along?"

"Keepin' to himself mostly," Daryl shrugs, "he's bein' behaved though." I sit up, moving to the edge of the bed beside Rick before standing and stretching.

"I think I am going to take a walk and let you gentlemen discuss whatever it is Daryl came here to discuss." I wink at Daryl and then turn to shoot Rick a quick smile before leaving.

Michonne is outside, sitting alone. I take a seat next to her. "How are you feeling?" She startles a bit and then looks over at me and shrugs. "Still playing the cold, silent woman part I see." I joke.

"Yep." She snaps back quickly and sternly, popping the p on the end for emphasis.

"What are you thinking about right now?" I ask, trying to get her to open up, at least a little bit.

"You are not going to go away are you?" She lets out a low growl as she turns to look at me. I shake my head.

"My sword," she says after staring at me for what feels like ages.

"That must be some sword," I say smiling back at her.

"It is." She says a lot softer now, almost dreamlike. "It's been by my side since...." she trails off and I wait to see if she is going to finish. She doesn't.

"Since?" I ask finally urging her to finish. Michonne turns away from my gaze.

"A long time." She says, still unable to look at me. I think I hear a small crack in her voice. I look down at my feet, my heart is breaking for her. There is a story behind this thing. One day, hopefully, she'll trust me enough to know that story.

"Well," I sigh, "I guess we're just going to have to go back there and get it back." Her head snaps back to me.

"Not you," she said sternly, a fire raging behind her brown eyes. "I am not putting you in that situation again. Not for something that I really shouldn't even be worrying about anyway. Not like I can't find another or a different weapon of choice."

"But that particular object means something to you. I want to help you get it back. We need something from our previous world to hold onto in this world." I look around for Rick or either of the Dixon's. I am pretty sure they would throw a major fit if they heard what I was about to tell her. "How about we go in a couple of days? Make sure we have plenty of time to rest up, build our strength." Michonne smiles and then pulls me into a hug.

"You don't have to," she whispers in my ear, "but thank you." After a couple of minutes, I push away, knowing she is getting uncomfortable with this situation.