* 16 *

©JRF2015-R2021

I wake up wrapped in an incredible warmth. I roll over in Rick's arms and smile at him as he is watching me sleep. "Good morning chief."

He chuckles and kisses me on the forehead before he says, "Good afternoon sleepyhead." I look at him confused. "You've been asleep all morning. I was starting to wonder if you were going to wake up at all." He pulls me closer to his body and kisses me one more time, on the lips this time, it gets heated very quickly. He holds on to me as if he doesn't ever want to let go. His hands begin to explore my body when someone clears their throat in the doorway. "Sorry to interrupt but I was gonna go huntin' you comin' with me?" Daryl had a big grin on his face as he stood there waiting on Rick.

Rick stood up, "Yeah, I'm right behind you." He turned around to place one more kiss on my lips, "To be continued." He smiles and walks out with Daryl.

Carol walks in as the boys were leaving and Daryl was teasing Rick. She shot me a wink, "Hush Pookie. They've got to have their special time together sooner or later." Daryl blushes from the nickname Carol had given him. Carol sat down beside me, "Just came in to see how you were doing?" I sat up and hugged her, "I'm good, just a little sore. Where's Judy?"

Carol looked at me in her soft, tender way, "Beth has got her. You need your rest right now, we'll take care of Judy and anything else that needs to be done until you're better." Carol got up and left the room as Michonne walks in.

"Since we're both grounded until we heal up I figured we could hang out together," Michonne chuckles. I nod and clear a place on the bed for her to sit down. "I never got the chance to thank you for saving me back there," she said as she hangs her head.

"No thanks necessary," I tell her, "You know Rick is out with Daryl hunting. We can take a walk ourselves if you want, no rules against taking a walk around the courtyard."

She smiles, "Yeah, I could use some fresh air and some color." We make our way downstairs and outside, walking around the courtyard and talking.

Merle was standing by my door when I got back to my cell. "You didn't go hunting with your brother and Rick?" He laughs, shaking his head, "I think you're the only one here that's willin' to give ole Merle the benefit of the doubt. Told ya they wouldn't accept me. Even my brother goes off with Rick instead of me, didn't even bother asking if I wanted to go."

I walk past him into my cell, "You're not giving 'em much of a chance now are you?" He looks down at the ground as I continue. "I mean you keep to yourself, off in a separate cell block. Have you spoken to Daryl at all since we got back?"

"Truth is, I ain't never been good at dependin' on other people. I ain't needed no one before." I pat the bed next to me signaling him to sit down.

"You can't do things without people anymore," I tell him.

"I know. I don't know how to trust anyone else though." I put my hand on top of his.

"You're trusting me right now." He sat where he was without another word. "Daryl and I know the truth. We know that you're not a bad guy and the rest of the group will see that too."

Michonne, after making a stop at her cell, finally enters mine. "What are you two talking about?" Merle keeps his head down.

"Just getting to know each other," I tell her, "You should join us." She shrugs and grabs a seat on the floor across from us. The three of us sit talking until the light of day is starting to fade. We hear Rick and Daryl enter the cell block as they return from their hunt. The three of us rise and start making our way to the kitchen.

I watch as Carol takes the fresh meat and packs it away for tomorrow and advises the two men to have a seat. I sit down beside Carl, Merle and Michonne slink off to a corner alone. Carol has a huge meal cooked up for everyone tonight. Beth brings Judy out to Rick and he sits at the table between me and Carl as he holds her. Carol brings the soup out, I stand up motioning to Rick to stay seated as I got up and fix us both a bowl, Carl right beside me.

After dinner, we all retire to our cells. Rick stays with me again while Carl and Judith share his cell. He slides into the bed pulling the blanket over us and wrapping his arm around me. "Good night beautiful," he whispers as he kisses me on the top of my ear and traces it down my neck.

"Good night chief," I whisper back as he lets out a husky growl. He moves his lips to mine for a tender good night kiss but it turns into a longer one. His hands exploring my body once again. I glance at the door to see a silhouette standing there. I sit up, "Merle?" Rick turns his head in a snap motion.

"What are you doing here Merle?" Rick asks a little annoyed.

"I was passin' by on my way to my room and I thought I'd say g'night," Merle said, "Didn't know Officer Friendly was sleepin' in here with ya now."

He turns to walk away, "Merle," I say causing him to stop in his tracks, "Good night." I see Merle Dixon smile, not for the first time since I met him, but another rare one.

"Night sweetheart," he replies. I notice Rick flinch a little at his words. I put my hand on his arm calming him. Merle disappears out of sight.

"It's a southern thing. It didn't have any deeper meaning," I reassure Rick, "He just feels alone here with us and I've been a friend to him, that's all." Rick nods at me and lays back down.

"I love you, Rachel," he whispers in that raspy voice of his. I feel a smile creep onto my face as I hug him. It shocks me at first, I wasn't expecting that declaration. It makes me feel happy and I confess my feelings as well.

"I love you too chief."

The next morning Daryl was back and he was talking to Rick about a run. They didn't notice that I had woken up so I lay there just listening. "We could use one more," Rick said, "Who do you suggest?"

~~~~~~

**Daryl's POV**

I shrug at Rick's question and chew my thumbnail. Merle stopped by my cell last night. First time since he had come back. Merle did most of the talking and mostly about his feelings. It shocked me because Merle never talks about feelings. He mentioned me and Rick going hunting, I never thought about Merle going hunting with us because before the world went to shit it was always me doing the hunting alone. Merle always wanted to just lay around and get high.

Rick is asking and I have a chance to make up for the hunting thing. How do I do that? Rick hates my brother. Merle doesn't do anything to help that situation. He always has to be the smart ass, rubbing his friendship with Rachel in Rick's face and trying to make him jealous, getting in his head and making Rick think there is something more.

~~~~~~

**Rachel's POV**

I could tell that Daryl wanted to tell Rick to take his brother but he wasn't sure how Rick would react. After a long pause with neither of the men saying anything, I speak up. "What about Merle?" They both jump and turn to look at me.

"Merle?" Rick asks, "I guess he could be useful. Daryl, do you think you can keep him in check, that your brother might be able to play nice with everyone for once?" Daryl nods, smiling at me. "Alright, go get Merle and we'll head out in ten minutes." Daryl runs off to find his brother. Rick walks over to the bed and sits down.

"How long were you listening in?" I smile as I place my hand on his chest. I can feel his heartbeat speed up as my hand lay there.

"Long enough to hear you say you needed an extra person. I know you don't trust Merle but I believe in him, so does Daryl, and he is gonna be an asset on this run. I can feel it." Rick places his hand on my face and leans in for a kiss.

"I hope you're right." He sighs, "I guess if you and Daryl trust him, I should at least try. I gotta go but I'll be back soon. Love you." I smile and now my heart is racing. I love hearing that from this man.

"Love you too, Chief."