* 14 *

©JRF2015-R2021

My dreams are filled with Rick Grimes. They are scattered with so many confusing pictures. There was one, however, that warmed me up more than any other. The image makes me smile like a fool. Rick and I standing on a porch, a large front yard, bright green grass, and three children running around playing. I did not want to leave that dream but I could feel a presence, not like Rick's. Another presence I am not as familiar with. I open my eyes and look up to see Michonne leaning against the far wall. I scrunch my eyebrows confused as I sit up. "Been thinking about what you said the other day," she says not moving, "about going with me to get my sword back. I don't think you should."

"I want to," I reply, "you shouldn't go alone."

"Yeah, I know you want to, but you've been with these people for a while, you've formed bonds, and have a home here. No one here is attached to me, no one would miss me if I didn't come back. If something happened to you, they would miss you. I can't be the reason something happens to you, the reason you are taken away from them."

"You seem so sure that something will happen to me? What if nothing happens to me?" I stand to my feet now, "Life is still life, right? Can't live it being afraid of what might happen. I want to help you." Michonne looks at the floor, obviously contemplating my words. "Tomorrow?" She looks up at me confused, "do you want to go tomorrow?"

"I was thinking about it, but -- alone." Michonne sighs, I think realizing I am not letting this go and I won't let her go alone. I pull out a chair and sit down at the table, folding my hands.

"Hmm, not such a hard-hearted woman after all," I chuckle and she rolls her eyes.

"Shut up," she retorts and I clear my throat, awkwardly. She starts laughing and I release that tension I was currently feeling.

"So, what's your plan?"

"I don't think we should go in the daylight hours, The Governor will surely be on the lookout for us." I nod as I sit there, listening while she lays it out for me.

We wait until everyone is inside for dinner before taking a car from the pool and slipping out. Maggie was on watch at the gate, she had too many questions but between the two of us, they were all answered to Maggie's satisfaction. The drive was quiet. The time it takes to get to Woodbury is a lot faster in a car than on foot. It is dark but not dark enough, so we wait a little longer. Away from the fences of the town but close enough to see the guards on lookout atop them. The part of the fence where we left last time now has men in place, The Governor made sure to cover it since our escape I guess. "Looks like you were right, Governor wised up and covered the holes in his little privacy fence. We'll have to find another spot to go in -- if there is one." I tell Michonne pointing to the old spot. She just nods, eyes scanning the perimeter.

~~Meanwhile at the prison~~

Rick watches Merle throughout supper tonight. He seems antsy. Maybe because Rachel isn't here. Rick wonders why but is pulled back to Merle as he pushes his plate away, without touching his food, and starts pacing. As Rick stands, ready to approach the man, Merle darts out the door. Rick follows. Merle heads straight for the gate and Maggie. Rick slows his pace to a casual stroll, watching. He catches up just as Maggie tires of Merle's questions and heads back up to the tower. "What's going on Merle? Why are you so anxious tonight?"

"You ain't?" Merle spins around, a mixture of anger and worry on his face. "Your girl is out there with Michonne, alone."

"Where did they go? Why didn't she tell me? Why would she go with Michonne after last time?" Merle throws his hands up, staring at Rick.