Your first, "I love you," with Draco

AN: Btw, please vote and leave suggestions because I do take requests. Also, pleaseeee leave comments! I loveee interaction. You can find my Instagram under @/dracoimaginesdar
You'll find all my headcanons and some content I'd already posted on here. There's all sorts of junk :D

Your first, "I love you."

They were all watching. Waiting for Draco to walk across that courtyard to join them.
The silence outside of his mother and father cooing his name was deafening.
You could hear your own heartbeat in your ears when the sounds of his footsteps begun; he took a step forward, slow strides as his parents smiled, relieved.

Though the bliss dropped from their faces when their son took a course not even you or he were expecting until he was stood beside you at the front of the crowd. Breath hitched in your throat, you kept your gaze in front of you, as did he as to look as determined at possible.

Even when Neville pulled the sword of Gryffindor from the sorting hat, prompting Harry's jolt from Hagrids arms, Draco proved he was on your side, backing up towards the castle.
If he was going to fight, he was going to focus on keeping you out of harms way as long as he possibly could.

But you knew you had to fight. You reached up around Draco's neck and kissed him, reminding him that you wouldn't stay in the castle... but you'd hex any Death Eater that tried to harm anyone of your side, and near enough kill any Death Eater who would try and stop you from doing what needed to be done.
And it's exactly what he let you go and do, because he knew better than to stop you. You didn't even need to say a word to each other to get the point across amidst the pained yells, and adrenaline from all around you.

Just a good job you managed, seeing all the bodies of your loved ones. Fred... Lupin... Lavender even...
Because if you hadn't, would Draco had even picked the right side? You know he would have wanted to, but would he have?
He'd spent the battle protecting the naïve first years who couldn't fully register the intensity of war, who tried to stay and fight only to become scared, and traumatised when it was all over.

But with a numbness in your bones, you approached him, an attempt to ignore the bodies of students around you.
You crossed your arms over your chest with a smile, staring into his tense eyes.
"You really love me that much, huh?" You joked, post-war humour acting as a shell.

"Enough to risk dying..."

"Well, you might have died either way, so..." you nitpicked.
He shook his head, opening his mouth a few times, sheepishly, before he could get the words out.

"Actually, they were planning to just walk away from it all. Got too intense for them. It was one thing for my father to believe in something, and want to make You-Know-Who proud, but another to actually go through with it. I don't think he really expected everything to fully happen."

The more you thought about it, the more points were raised, including the idea of Draco choosing the risk of death over a safe haven with his family. "...so you... really do love me that much, I suppose," you challenged, swinging your arms playfully.

He leg out a choked laugh, nodding his head. "I do. Even if you don't love me... I do. I don't know how you did it, but you did. I love you so much and I just- I just... hope you'll forgive me."

"It wasn't your fault. In the beginning. You can make it up to me by just being good... okay?"

He nods shortly, avoiding your gaze as you rub the back of his neck, playing with his hair. "I love you too."