2. Matcha and Comic Books

The slow days at Whole Foods were always the best. Whenever we had less than 100 orders placed, at least half of the employees would be sitting, waiting for an order to be placed. A majority of the time, I was able to work on some homework and even be able to clock out 5 minutes before my shift ended.

My group of friends at work and I would sit, chatting about whatever we could.

My group friends revolves around a black plus size guy named Sammy (the oldest in the group, being only 25), 24 year old Elizabeth who was following in my footsteps with bringing her blonde curls back to life, her 22 year old sister Layla who was the quietest of the group who also had an amazing wardrobe even in sweats, and their 19 year old cousin Jasmine who, like me, was currently in college.

I wonder how they would describe me if someone were to ask them. That has always been a question of mine.

At first, it was just Sammy and I, but Elizabeth and her sister went to the same school as him, so they tagged along in our group, and then Jasmine started working and eventually we have our friend group.

"Alright, since it's pay day, I think we should go to primark in downtown." Elizabeth said as we sat by the tables outside.

"Why not go to Galleria?" Layla interrupted.

Twice a month on pay day (we get weekly pay), we would go out to downtown or Cambridge mall to do a little shopping. A majority of the time, I wouldn't buy anything because it's not like I really needed anything, but I like to tag along with them. It's the most I ever get to hanging out with anyone that wasn't family. 

It was also a nice day today. Even though it was in the 50s by sunrise, it was going to be in the 70s by the time we were off the clock (3pm to be exact).

"Sammy, AJ, what do you think?"

It's always Sammy and I that are the deal breakers. Usually Sammy makes the first decision though because I hate decision making. I'm also indecisive with decisions, from what drink to order, to not being able to make a decision when playing a video game. If anything, I always feel like I'm a part of a Telltale game whenever I make decisions. I hate it.

"We went to Downtown last time so let's go to Cambridge. We haven't been there in awhile."

I pointed at him. "What he said." I rolled my shoulders. "Is everyone clocked out already?"

"Jasmine is still doing an order but she's almost done."

"Hey AJ, you didn't tell us about how your first week went." Sammy nudged my arm jokingly.

"Well, it was stressful but it was pretty cool. I made a new friend, so that's something." I ate yet another scoop full of the mash potatoes that I bought. My god, I wish it had more flavor, but it was bareable to eat. I was only able to eat half before sliding it over to Sammy who didn't hesitate to finish.

I have never been able to finish my plate since I was kicked out. I love to eat, but I just can't finish anything anymore and it makes me feel bad for anyone that cooks and offers me a plate because I end up wasting half of it.

"Ooooo tell us about her!"

"He is actually a dope guy."

"He?" They all looked in shock.

Why are they shocked?

"What?"

"You befriended a guy?"

"Sammy, I befriended you before I friended all the other girls in this group."

"We didn't officially become friends until almost 2 months after you started working here, you befriended the girls within a week. But you befriended this guy the first week of school! You like him."