Chapter Nineteen

Nico's P.O.V

I looked at the video footage over and over again trying to figure out who was driving the truck and what their motive was, but all I got was a terrible headache.

Flashback

I reached my office and met George waiting for me with a stoic look on his face.

"What is it George?" I asked and sat down on the leather chair with wooden shelves with glass handles opposite it. A big mahogany table in front of the chair.

A laptop was placed on top of the table, it's screen displaying a paused video.

"I found a footage of the night Zya was in an accident" he said. His voice void of any emotion. "The video shows that the accident was a hit and run" he continued playing the video.

It started with Zya's car driving on the road, going beyond the speed limit. She was obviously in a hurry to get somewhere.

Then, suddenly, a truck appeared crossing sharply over to her lane though the other lanes were empty.

The truck was going at full speed determined to hit Zya's car.

"What else did you find out" I asked George hoping for a lead, however little it was.

"Her parents accident was not really an accident" he muttered and silence loomed over the air as neither George nor I spoke.

I knew he was thinking the same thing I was "Do you think both accidents are connected" I questioned him relaxing into my chair.

He nods "There's a possibility but why wait until now to kill Zya" he mused.

"Maybe the person didn't know she survived" I said I didn't believe what I said and from the snort the came out of George's mouth neither did he.

"There was an ulterior motive, something the person could gain from Zya's death" he voiced out my thoughts.

"I guess we just have to find out" I said standing up.

Present

I guess the time to tell Zya to truth about them was approaching sooner than later.

Zya's P.O.V

I tossed and turned as I tried to make myself comfortable but I couldn't. My body refused to cooperate with me ever since I woke up sweating heavily because of my nightmare.

The one she never had in years.

Why was she dreaming about that night now?

Why did she feel like something bad was about to happen?

Why did her parents have to die?

So many questions clouded my mind but I had no answers to them. I thought back to that night. The night I lost my family.

I felt tears slide down my face as I remembered the gory sight of my parents dead body, unrecognizable with all the cuts and burns on their body.

I remembered all the blood on the road, all the shouting I never understood back then. I remembered my brother whose body was burnt with the car and never found.

I don't like the trip down this particular memory lane.

I started breathing heavily, my throat dry, my heart beating fast.

She was having a panic attack!

The walls were closing in on me and I couldn't breathe. I took deep breaths like I taught myself back at the orphanage but nothing worked.

Was this how she was going to die?

Without a fight?

My hands started shaking and I could feel darkness calling out to me. Telling her it was alright.

Singing her to sleep, perhaps a sleep that lasted forever.

Natalie's P.O.V

"Miss Russo, the car is ready" My personal assistant Lana said poking her head through the door.

With a nod and a quiet 'thank you' I went to the parking lot at the last floor of her office.

It was a very busy day and I was exhausted. I started the ignition of the beautiful black BMW I've had for five years now.

I drove out of the parking lot at full speed. I wound down the windows loving the feeling of the wind in her hair.

My work was about an hour away from the house. I preferred it that way cause it gave me time to think.

I smiled as the wind caressed my hair and face wishing life was this simple.

I arrived at the house and turned off the ignition.

I entered the house and went straight to my room.

I stripped out of my suit and removed my hair from the ponytail.

I entered the bath tub. Closing my eyes, I relaxed into the strawberry scented water.

I let out a long sigh and let my mind wonder but not too far cause I knew I would drown in the raging tides of my memories.

I hesitated, I couldn't lose my self built control not now, not ever.

I bit my lips as I thought of him, the man I once loved.

Soooooo, what do you guys think?

This chapter was a bit intense but without it the other chapters won't make sense.

Thank you The_Book_Smuggler07 for the banner.

Hint for next chapter: Hospital and personal drama.

I've been on Netflix a lot this week but I have no idea what to watch, what do y'all recommend?

"If no one told you they appreciated you today remember I do".