Chapter 10

I peered through my mask down at the motel across the street. I was on top of a building, enjoying the two hoodies I had put on. I would have rather of worn a coat but I didn't have an extra to fight crime in. So far it looked like any other sleazy motel in Fortdale. Couples, made of both prostitution and simply one-night stands, occupied most of the rooms. Though the rooms near where I saw the Reaper in the photo hadn't seen any activity since I got here. Hopefully that was a sign that Enervate was still using those rooms. Though even if he was, I doubted he himself was there.

I watched as a black van pulled into the parking lot. Two Reapers got out and opened up the back of the van. They pulled out two tied up people, they looked like they had went on a date that ended on the lowest of points. The two skull masked henchmen dragged the couple up to the second floor, as some of the motel's occupants watched from behind almost closed curtains. No one would call the police, almost everyone here was probably in possession of drugs and those who were not would be scared of Enervate after his display of power earlier in the week.

I pulled my hood up and dropped down onto the sidewalk below. I walked across the street and into the motel's parking lot. The same bystanders watched as I strolled up to the Reapers' van and kicked it's rear tire crushing it. The curtains quickly closed after that and I walked right below the rooms the Reapers occupied. I jumped up and landed in front of them and heard confused cursing from inside the room before the curtains began to move. I kicked in the door and watched as it hit a Reaper and fell on top of him. I walked in and outstretched my hand to the right where a Reaper had been looking through the curtains. He had a gun pointed at me but his hands started to shake as I sent a wave of fear through him. He pulled the trigger right as I pushed the gun aside. I grabbed it and crushed it under foot before kicking him into the wall, knocking him out. I walked over to the tied up hostages, I could feel their own fear.

"It's ok, you're safe now" I told them as I used my powers to calm the two lovers. I ripped the duct tape off their mouths so they could speak.

"Thank you. I thought we were gonna die!" the woman said crying as I untied her.

"Thank you Eden." the man said though I could feel that he felt ashamed for allowing his partner to be kidnapped. I untied him and lifted him up.

"It's not your fault, they had guns" right as I said that, I heard the van outside attempt to drive off, I ran outside the room and saw that the room next-door had it's door wide open. I looked down at the parking lot and saw the van moving back and forth trying to drive. I ran and jumped into the air and landed on the van's roof.

"No, no damnit!" I heard the driver swear after I landed. The passenger stepped out and started spraying bullets at me with a modified AR-15. I quickly dropped down behind the van as bullets flew over my head. I opened the van's back door and the driver turned around startled. I sent a wave of anger that made him temporarily forget about his gun and charge at me. I punched him in the face and he held his nose, over his mask, in pain. The blind rage I gave him was gone, but he had already left his gun at the front of the van. I pushed him out the back of the van and he fell onto the ground. I hopped out along with him and got him back to his feet. I kept him in front of me as I walked over to the shooter's side of the van. As we walked past the opened van doors and into the fully automatic armed Reaper's view, the guy in front of me pleaded not to be shot.

"Don't worry. I'll let our master know of your sacrifice." The man aiming at us said.

"No please! I'm only 22!" The guy I had in front of me pleaded.

"Don't worry as a disciple you will find life again" He said and got ready to pull the trigger.

I quickly kicked the man forward and watched as he went flying into the gunman. They both groaned as they crashed into the ground. I walked forward and picked up the gun and looked at it. I pointed it at them and started to question them.

"Is Enervate coming?" I demanded.

"No, he knows you're here. Told us to off you though we decided against it after you beat up the other guys" The driver admitted. I moved my finger onto the trigger.

"Where is he?" I asked.

"Well-" He started to say before being punched by the other guy.

"Why would we tell you anything?" The devout Reaper asked.

"If you wanna live another day, you'll tell me" I bluffed. I sent a wave of fear into them to make my lie more believable.

"He might be at the Coachwood Mansi- " The scared driver began to tell me Enervate's location before being stabbed in the neck by the other Reaper. I yelped in surprise and took a step back.

"For the Order!" The devout Reaper yelled before slitting his own throat.

I backed up slowly and then turned and ran back across the street when I heard sirens in the distance. I jumped up onto the building and looked back at the two dead Reapers. I hadn't realized how devoted his followers were, but one of them did give me a location. Coachwood Mansion. If my memory served me right, than that was that old mansion no one wanted to buy. I mean who wanted to buy a creepy old mansion in Fortdale? Literally no one, though I guess that made it a great place for Enervate to lay low.

☆●☆●☆●☆●☆

I peered at the Mansion from behind a chain-link fence. From the outside it look completely deserted of anything except ghosts. The paint had long left the rotting wood and the windows were boarded up. Though with my powers I could feel all sorts of emotion emanating from inside the building. There were definitely humans inside, probably armed Reapers. I jumped over the fence, ran up to the building, and crouched below the windows. I need to find a quiet way inside the mansion so I wouldn't be overwhelmed by Reapers. I carefully walked along the outside of the building and looked for an entrance. Every window I came across was boarded up and the doors were definitely heavily guarded on the other side. Once I made it into the backyard I noticed a balcony over looking it. I smiled when I saw that the balcony doors weren't boarded shut.

I jumped up just enough to grab onto the railings, which was quieter than slamming onto the balcony itself. I climbed up and over onto the balcony and looked at the glass doors in front of me. From the inside they were covered with a sheet. So if anyone was one the other side, they hadn't seen me yet. I tried to look inside but the sheet did it's job. I sighed and braced myself. I was just going to have to open it. I took a breath and pushed open the glass double-doors. The room ahead was some kind of study with a small candle lighting the room. Near the candle sat a cushioned chair facing it and away from me.

"I wondered if one of them would give me up. One of them did seem a little lacking in his faith " I heard Enervate say from the chair.